Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exo-terra monsoon

s6t6nic6l

Default Exo-terra monsoon

hi. does anyone use this here and if so would you be so kind as to give your verdict on said unit. a very basic or in depth review would be most appreciated.
    thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Exo-terra monsoon

I know there was a post on this a few days ago. Try using search with word monsoon. All I remember was they said it was super quiet.

bshmerlie

I think its sole advatage is that it is a self contained unit. A professional misting system from Mist King is by far a better unit but it does require the "bucket" to sit the pump in. Longevity wise I'm sure the quality will make the Mist King last longer...but you do have the "bucket" factor. If you plan on a lot of frog tanks and you're in this for the long haul, then the Mist King starter package at $99 is the one for you. If you have one tank and its in your living room with no cabinet then go with the Monsoon. They are about the same price. One is for the "hobbyist" and one is for the "professional". Only you can decide what you are. I find myself on the fence of both of those all the time. Best of luck with your decision and let us know which way you go.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'll have to report back on the Monsoon since I picked up one tonight to try out on a dart frog tank.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    I'll have to report back on the Monsoon since I picked up one tonight to try out on a dart frog tank.
    Ok Don...you're the man...we need a full report by morning.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

LOL, thanks Cheri. It was definitely too simple to install and set up. Now If I can just get up the energy to read the manual.

Sierra

I'm interested in this too, because I've had trouble keeping humidity up with just misting it myself, because of the dry winter months in Wisconsin. So I would love to hear any pros/cons about it!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    I'm interested in this too, because I've had trouble keeping humidity up with just misting it myself, because of the dry winter months in Wisconsin. So I would love to hear any pros/cons about it!
    Sierra, How much of your top is screen and how much is glass/covered?
    My small 12 x 12 block runs about 80 percent humidity with about 70 percent of the top screen covered in glass. The enclosure is pretty close to our baseboards which drys things out quickly so covering the top really keeps the humidity up.

Sierra

The canopy covers half, and I did have about 60% covered with plastic wrap but it fell off because it was cheap, haha it didn't seem to do much though that I noticed. What does help is putting a damp washcloth over the top, but I don't want the screen to rust. Maybe I should try a better quality plastic wrap. I just moved the tank to my living room a couple weeks ago and that is next to a radiator. So I'm sure that's not helping matters. It is a 18x18x24.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    The canopy covers half, and I did have about 60% covered with plastic wrap but it fell off because it was cheap, haha it didn't seem to do much though that I noticed. What does help is putting a damp washcloth over the top, but I don't want the screen to rust. Maybe I should try a better quality plastic wrap. I just moved the tank to my living room a couple weeks ago and that is next to a radiator. So I'm sure that's not helping matters. It is a 18x18x24.
    Yeah, winter makes it tough with the heat running... my house is so dry.
    Have live plants in the enclosure? They help with keeping humidity up. A humidifier in the room will also help keep things from drying out so fast.

My new viv is running 80 percent and its misted twice a day but that tank is 95 percent covered. This is the viv I added the Monsoon to and we'll see if I can keep the 80 to 90 percent for the dart frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm writing this while away from the unit so this is by memory.

I purchased the Monsoon for my very first vivarium. It is 18x18x24. I have never had one before so will give you my impression of how things are working with the Monsoon. First off it cost about $100.00; this would be in the same price range as the Mist King Starter package. The unit is very compact and nice looking. So it would not be an eye sore for anyone placing the unit out in the open next to a vivarium. The unit comes with a clear grayish plastic tank which holders about a gallon and a half. I have not filled it up all the way yet. The controller unit fits on top of the tank and is rather sleek looking. The area were you pour the water in is shaped in such a manner that any slight overfill while you pour water in runs back into the tank. The hose connection is a quick connect that you push the black water line into. Very easy to install and remove. I have already done this and any water in the line will run back down towards the fill hole of you hold the line there until it drains. The hose starts out as single line then splits into two with adjustable nozzles on each. There are suction cups for attaching the nozzles in place as well as two addition suction cups for you to place on the line where needed. The controller unit has settings for how long you want to spray, the time frame between spraying. This is done by just turning the knob to the appropriate setting. There is a instant on push button that will keep spraying until selected again. A button to select timer mode and I believe an off button all with indicators. If the power goes off the unit will restart itself by misting and then going into the set cycle. The unit is very quiet and the only time I have heard it being the least be louder is when it first purges it’s self during setup or if you removed and reinstall the line.

So far I have been very happy with the Monsoon. It does a very good job of wetting down the interior of the vivarium. The humidity seems to be holding in the area of 97 to 98%. I have most of the top covered with glass which I just installed yesterday and have reduced the time between spraying to eight hours. I might even be able to go longer then this.

The instructions say it can be expanded up to 8 spray heads. I'm not sure what the performance would be like with that many heads. If you have many tanks it might be better to go with the proven Mist King setups.

13. This member thanks MikeM670 for this post:

clownonfire

Yeah, winter makes it tough with the heat running... my house is so dry.
    Have live plants in the enclosure? They help with keeping humidity up. A humidifier in the room will also help keep things from drying out so fast.

My new viv is running 80 percent and its misted twice a day but that tank is 95 percent covered. This is the viv I added the Monsoon to and we'll see if I can keep the 80 to 90 percent for the dart frogs.
    We live in Montreal, with extreme weather during Winter and keeping humidity is a challenge. In our vents, we've simply added 2 inches of hydro balls, lots of plants, and we have a fogger that runs 6 times a day, 15 minutes each time (not the exo-terra fogger, which is a piece of ****). Half of the top is covered by a light cover, and the other half is in mesh, and even with that, we keep a humidity level of 85-88%/daytime, and 90+/nightime.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Mike,
    Great review and I definitely agree.
    My Monsoon worked right on time this morning and my ran for the time selected. I'll have to play with nozzle placement to get water to areas missed but so far I think I'll like this.

Now if I can just get my new Zilla Temp/Humidity gauge to read humidity I'd be thrilled. :-)

Nationality
    [United States]

Just came home and made a check of the vivarium. Humidity was 99% and temp was about 73 degrees. Unfortunately it looks like I have a leak in my water feature. The false bottom fills up with water too fast and I have to keep refilling the small reservoir of the waterfall. Bit frustrated on this development as I had the thing running for days without any of the clay balls installed and it never once showed any water.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Now if I can just get my new Zilla Temp/Humidity gauge to read humidity I'd be thrilled. :-)
    Oh what good is a hydrometer if it only reads to 90 percent.... I guess if it shows "--" on the screen then its above 90 percent. I should have read te package more closely.

From package:
    "The thermometer keeps track of maximum and minimum temperatures in a range from 23°F to 122°F (-5°C to +50°C), the hygrometer reads relative humidities from 30% to 90%."

s6t6nic6l

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM670 View Post
    I'm writing this while away from the unit so this is by memory.
    thanks for that info. would really like to know how it performs in the long run too. if you would'nt mind writing another review in say 3 weeks (if you remember) to see if any issues arise i would be most grateful.
    p.s. the habba mist system is useless for long term performance (5 weeks ). the fine mist soon turns to a jet of water. would not recommend for serious use.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well all nozzles can clog and that can be fixed by gently inserting a fine needle in the hole to clear the junk. Also using distilled water can alleviate many of those issues.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well all nozzles can clog and that can be fixed by gently inserting a fine needle in the hole to clear the junk. Also using distilled water can alleviate many of those issues.
    Mike, How is the timer on your Monsoon working. I can't seem to get mine to go off at any specific interval. I set for 12 hours and 15 hours later is runs, so I tried every 8 hours and now 12 hours later it still hasn't ran. hmmm.

Nationality
    [United States]

Don,

Sorry I replied using my new phone and it never showed up. Then John emailed me and said it went to the notification email.

I have not seen any issues with timing. In fact I have changed the timing several times as well as the duration. One thing I would ask is did you select the cycle button to turn the timer feature on?

Mike

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Don,

Sorry I replied using my new phone and it never showed up. Then John emailed me and said it went to the notification email.

I have not seen any issues with timing. In fact I have changed the timing several times as well as the duration. One thing I would ask is did you select the cycle button to turn the timer feature on?

Mike
    I set it in the off mode, then put the timer to 12 and the duration to 16 and then press the cycle button. I get the initial spray but sometimes it runs for only 10 seconds then shuts down.
    The blue light is on for cycle too.
    I set it today for 24 hours at 7:30 am and for 20 seconds so we'll see if it goes off in the morning at 7:30.
    I hope so.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information