Thread: What water is best for frogs water area

Default What water is best for frogs water area

Hi everyone I have learnt that tap water is bad for frogs but I used it when they were tadpoles and I use it now OOOOOOPS! So what water is best for them to swim in and for my spray bottle?
    Thanks Luke

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Red face Re: What water is best for frogs water area

Use tap water in the pond but use tap water conditioner use distilled water in your mister so it does not leave water spots.

Leefrogs

Default Re: What water is best for frogs water area

Unless u have well water, get dip test strips. Nitrate/ nitrite cannot be removed by water conditioner. If u have nitrate in water u have to have another water source, only reverse osmosis system can remove it. This comes from fertalizers that could be used near you. If your water has heavy metals it will show up as hard water. They want soft& alkaline water. I don't know if new zeland has water table for u to have a well, but I thaught I'd add that just in case.

Socrates

Water is always a tricky thing and sometimes it can come down to the species of frog you have. In general though a pH that is around 7 is ideal (granted a little alkaline and/or acidic is ok), not too soft or hard. Also you wanted to do a test sample of your water to check the Chem Profile on it (ie nitrate, heavy metals, chlorine levels etc.) Usually if you have decent tap water, you can use a dechlorinator with a heavy metal remover/nitrate remover etc depending on your water. I use a dechlorinator that has a heavy metal remover in it. Works very well and my frogs are as healthy as can be. Also if it is just a small water dish that you need to fill, say for a tree frog and/or terrestrial species then you can use bottle water (be sure to pick one that has a fairly neutral pH) or just install a filter on your faucet, but be sure it is certified to remove heavy metals, nitrates, and chloramine - BE SURE THE FILTER FOR YOUR FAUCET HAS A NSF CERTIFICATION. Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone I know I can buy distilled and purified water would that be okay? If not looks like I'm going on a shopping spree.

Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Whistly View Post
    Thanks everyone I know I can buy distilled and purified water would that be okay? If not looks like I'm going on a shopping spree.
    I wouldn't used distilled, as it removes all the minerals from the water. Thus if you were using that type of water for an aquatic or mostly aquatic species it could cause serious harm to the frog. This is because there body will have to work extra hard to combat with such a hypotonic solution surrounding their body - ie water would flow in to there body and electrolytes lost.

At my Mums work they use water for irrigation and she can get it for free would that be ok? I'm currently collecting some rain water would that be okay? and last of all my Dad just said to me what about mineral water so is that okay?

I couldn't find any heavy metal filters in the shops today so need something ASAP.
    Thanks Luke

P.S
    Also a completly off topic to this thread but I have tricked two of my frogs I completly forgot about my locusts for about 4 days and when I looked at them today 2 were twitching so I thought what a waste it would be if I just chucked them so I got some really thin hay and tied it around the locusts front leg and cut of the excess hay but left a length the other side for me to hang on to and I dangled it in front of my frogs and both got eaten and I just pulled off the hay before it was completly swallowed. Personally I think it's ingenious LOL.

Just found this for sale on trade me could I use this to make tap water safe for them to swim in and soak up? I'm going to copy the description of it below.

250ml bottle of TetraAqua AquaSafe Water Conditioner with a 5ml and 10ml measuring cap. Each bottle will treat 1893L of tap water.

Water Conditioner is important as an additive when setting up a new tank and when carrying out water changes.

AquaSafe makes tap water safe for fish:

- Neutralises chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals harmful to fish.
    - Enhances natural protective slime coating of fish.
    - Complete formula works in seconds!
    - Suitable for all fresh water and marine aquariums.

AquaSafe works quickly to make tap water safe for fish. The new BioExtract formula contains natural biopolymers which support the development of beneficial filter bacteria for healthy and clear water.

Substances in tap water that are dangerous to fish are removed or neutralised: chlorine is eliminated and heavy metals such as copper, zinc and iron are neutralised.

Slime coating is provided: unique colloid ingredients protect gills and delicate membranes, helps wounds heal and protect fish from abrasions.

Check out our other products for more great deals!

Socrates

I wouldn't buy that one, because the protective slime coat is for fish not frogs (remember frogs can make their own mucus secretions/chemical concoctions). I don't know if I missed this, but what pecies of amphibian is it for?

It's for my Green and Golden Bell frogs.

Socrates

Gotcha, yeah just buy a basic dechlorinater (make sure it removes Chloramine as well and heavy metals) and you should be fine.

13. This member thanks Socrates for this post:

Thanks for all your help I'll look for it in the shops ASAP.
    Thanks again

Socrates

No worries! And good luck!

P.S. I am jealous that you can so easily find Golden/Green Bell frogs - here in the states they are not common. They are very beautiful looking frogs.

Leefrogs

Ok, u said water that's too soft isn't good. I have WTF. And nitrates/ites at 0, ph6.8 - 7.2 alkalinty 80 or less, but water is very soft, like very very soft(0-25)should I add baking soda to harden it up. I'm getting a real water sample done, but it will be a while before I get it back. I just baught reptisafe, but it drops my ph into acid reading. So I'll stop using that, right?

jtay

Spring water is good - I think best.
    I use Waiwera water for my frog's pool and spray bottle (I am not concerned with 'water spots').

Leefrogs

That's my problem!! I'm using spring water out of the water table left over from glaciers. It's so very soft, I'm concerned that there's no minerals in it. And it's possibly stripping minerals out of frogs. I tested it against the fallen snow, and it tested softer, I'd use snow but it's probably poluted. The spring water I baught from down stream, bottled 60 miles away, came up with nitrates!!! Aaahhhh!!!

Thread Information