Thread: New to dart frogs

austinz33

Default New to dart frogs

Hey guys I need some help setting up my terraium for my dart frog. Can you guys give me some sample pics? And how can you make the terraium warm? Also what kind of plants should I use for it? Thank you in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New to dart frogs

Hi Austin.
    You can check out the members galleries for some sample setup.
    I'm not an expert but basicly darts don't need a ton of air so you tank will be covered mostly with glass and the light bulb you use will generate some heat.
    Temps around 76 - 78 are good and nothing in the 80s for the day and you hoes ambient temp is usually fine for at night.
    I use a compact florescent bulb so I don't generate heat on mine since my room is warm during the day.

Humidity needs to be high so routine misting over the day is needed.... I do mine twice a day.

The glass on top keeps the humidity up, the more you vent it the less humidity you have.

No undertank heater is needed. No water dish is needed since they absorb moisture through the skin.

Read a ton of care sheets and see what other people are using for plants in their setups from pics would be my suggestions.

Woodsman

I don't think John would mind if I mentioned that additional info on dart frogs can be found at Dendroboard.com. There is a section specifically for building vivariums for poison dart frogs.

Good luck! Richard.

bshmerlie

Welcome to the forum. We have some care articles on the left that might help you out. We have the Dart frog terrarium building and the Imitating dart frog care to start off with. Then checkout the photo gallery and get ideas from other members builds. Also search under terrarium builds and there have been threads that can break it down for you.

austinz33

Guys if it was an all glass tank and you needed to keep if shut how would you have a heat lamp on top keeping it warm? Is it ok if you had a mesh screen on top?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You don't need a heat lamp. The ambient temps in your home along with a low wattage bulb is usually good enough. You can partially cover the top with glass over a screen top.

I have an Exo-Terra with a screen top and I partially cover 70 percent of the top with glass. Humidity is 85-95 and temps about 78 and the bulb I use generated almost no heat. My bulb is about 10 inches above the tanks top.

Thread Information