Thread: Looking for a starting pair

pacsack

Default Looking for a starting pair

I have been setting up my 12x12x12 exo terra viv its growing nicely and I am almost ready to give a frog a home, I was wandering what would be a good starter species and would a breeding pair fit into this tank comfortably. It has plenty of vertical space and plenty of cover. I also have mister set up to run intervals during the day as well as a timed photo cycle. I have the time and dedication to add a more complex species to my collection but I would like to start with something a bit more simple. So what would you guy recommend with my given setup?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Woodsman

Default Re: Looking for a starting pair

Hi Pacsack,

A 12X12 exoterra is very small for almost all dart frogs. Even the smallest thumbnail species require more like a 40 gallon set-up for good breeding.

That said, you could get a couple of juvenile frogs and move them up to a larger vivarium once they reach maturity. I always recommend D. leucomelas as the best starter frog, they are very attractive, bold, and very hardy. They were my first frogs 14 years ago and still are one of my favorites.

Good luck! Richard.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    Hi Pacsack,

A 12X12 exoterra is very small for almost all dart frogs. Even the smallest thumbnail species require more like a 40 gallon set-up for good breeding.

That said, you could get a couple of juvenile frogs and move them up to a larger vivarium once they reach maturity. I always recommend D. leucomelas as the best starter frog, they are very attractive, bold, and very hardy. They were my first frogs 14 years ago and still are one of my favorites.

Good luck! Richard.
    Actually, many people have success breeding thumbnails in 10 gallon tanks. The founder of this forum, John Clare, keeps breeding pairs in 10 gallon terrariums.

pacsack

From the research I have done Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus appears to be the best starter, my only concern is getting a male and female pair, I understand darts can be quite territorial would this species be overly territorial in the event that I get a improperly sexed pair? Also does anyone know any reliable suppliers?

Woodsman

Hi Thomas,

The footprint of a 12X12 is much smaller than a ten gallon, so I don't think you would find many dart frog hobbyists that would recommend them for dart frogs.

Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by tjtreefrog View Post
    Actually, many people have success breeding thumbnails in 10 gallon tanks. The founder of this forum, John Clare, keeps breeding pairs in 10 gallon terrariums.

pacsack

The footprints of John's vivs are 12x12 I believe they are 10g vertical terrariums. The exo terra is short a few inches being 12 inches tall but the 10g vert is only a few inches taller.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    Hi Thomas,

The footprint of a 12X12 is much smaller than a ten gallon, so I don't think you would find many dart frog hobbyists that would recommend them for dart frogs.

Richard.
    Sorry Richard, I wasn't saying a 12X12 was recommended for dart frogs, you said that thumbnails required a 40 gallon setup to breed. I was just simply stating that people such as John Clare have had great success with breeding thumbnails in 10 gallon terrariums.

Woodsman

I breed about 50 pairs of tinctorius in 10 gallon tanks and this works for me given the obvious space constraints of having a large collection, but if someone is starting out in the hobby I think a larger dsplay tank would make everyone (including the frogs) happier.

My first vivarium was a 55 gallon that I raised a group of Leucomelas juveniles in and, once I established I had two pairs, I divided the tank equally and the two pairs have been happily breeding for about 14 years now.

I was looking at a 12X12X12 that I use as temporary housing and it is a really small amount of space. Unless the hobbyist lives on the Space Shuttle, I would think that they could afford a little more space for their new hobby.

Take care, Richard.

clownonfire

Pacsack, I hold 2 Vents in a 12*12*18, and we were rather creative when we built the terrarium for the thumbs, and made sure there was enough room to roam vertically. Beside the environment, though, you must make sure you're willing to equip the terrarium accordingly, plant it, and maintain high humidity, which from what I read, you are already well equiped for. Oh, and culture fruit flies... Now all of this becomes quite easy when you really get into it...
    Last edited by clownonfire; January 31st, 2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: error corrected in name

Thread Information