Thread: Calcium?

Kerry1968

Default Calcium?

I wasn't sure where to post this, it is more a general question, not specific to any particular frog species.

Is there such a thing as too much calcium in a frogs diet? Do they 'get rid' of any they don't utilise?

I dust my frogs crickets every time I feed him, I thought that as he doesn't eat all the crickets straight away he won't be getting calcium on all of them. Also I keep my crickets quite a while, a couple of months probably, in this time they eat cricket gut load pellets and occasional bits of salad or veg. Would I need to add any vitamins when dusting them? And how often?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Calcium?

Speaking from personal experience, when I feed my ABFs directly (say a worm) that they take right away, they get a calcium supplement once a week, and a mineral supplement once a week. However, when my worm supplier ran out and I had to resort to crickets, I dusted them every time because a lot of the calcium wore off by the time my frogs got to them. I think in the end, it balances out. Have a great day!

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry1968 View Post
    I dust my frogs crickets every time I feed him, I thought that as he doesn't eat all the crickets straight away he won't be getting calcium on all of them.
    Thats what I do and for the same reasons. I used to do it much less, but I have gotten much better results this way.

Kerry1968

Thats great, thanks! I was worried I could be causing problems if I'm overloading him with calcium.

Kurt

Unless the frog is eating them all at once, he/she is not getting all the calcium. A lot of it comes off of the insect is given a chance to clean itself.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Any excess calcium beyond what the frog needs during digestion will just pass through the gut.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

White poopies!

Thread Information