Thread: Will my frog get eaten?

FrogmanGav

Default Will my frog get eaten?

I have recently acquired a new frog and would like to put it in my large tank with my other two but Im not too sure if its safe because, the new frog which i have got is a lot smaller than the other two ad i dont want it getting eaten.

Any help or information on the matter would be appreciated as I dont know if these frogs are cannabalistic.

Gav

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Will my frog get eaten?

Frogs will pretty much eat anything that they can fit into their mouthes. What kind of frogs are you talking about?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

There may be a problem. Smaller frogs are occasionally bullied by the larger ones. I would keep the smaller one separated for a few days to make sure there is no disease and it is feeding normally. That will reduce the amount stress on the frog. If you can provide a picture and approximate size of the new frog compared with the others, we can give you a better opinion.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

ditto to Terry, with out a picture to see the comparison, any advice given would be a complete guess.

Also, like stated above, it is best to quarantine the frog for at least 2 weeks to make sure it is healthy before adding it to your other frogs - you wouldn't want to introduce an ill frog into your already established tank and put your other frogs at risk.

FrogmanGav

Here is a couple of pics to help you guys. I would say he is about a third of the size of my bigger ones. He could definitely fit into clauds mouth. Its a male as he is croaking like a champion and has his nuptial pads
    Attached Images Attached Images       

FrogmanGav

and the big ones, its hardto compare from this picture. i would say they are very nearly fully grown though
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would be concerned. If the small frog stays healthy and eats well, he will be ready in a couple of months to join the larger ones. Generally speaking, I have not experienced much fighting among my clawed frogs. but my larger female occasionally picks on the male (fortunately, no serious problems).
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information