Thread: African Dwarf Frog Help

Member needs to set country!

Default African Dwarf Frog Help

Hi Everyone,
    Im super new to this and i have a couple of questions. I recently bought an African Dwarf Frog and this tank Aqueon Mini Bow 1-Gallon Desktop Aquarium Kit. I set everything up and dropped in a cube of blood red words and these are the issues im encontering.
    1. pepe (my frog) seems to be scared of the filter so its currently off.
    2. the light seems to get pretty hot i think it good cause it can heat the tank but bad if he decides to come up for water im scared it will be too hot for him.
    3. the blood worms get stuck in the filter when it was on.
    I have filled up the tank to the top i asked if i could use it for my frog and i was told yes. can someone please give me advice?
    Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: African Dwarf Frog Help

Quote Originally Posted by prodz84 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Im super new to this and i have a couple of questions. I recently bought an African Dwarf Frog and this tank Aqueon Mini Bow 1-Gallon Desktop Aquarium Kit. I set everything up and dropped in a cube of blood red words and these are the issues im encontering.
    2. the light seems to get pretty hot i think it good cause it can heat the tank but bad if he decides to come up for water im scared it will be too hot for him.
    I have filled up the tank to the top i asked if i could use it for my frog and i was told yes. can someone please give me advice?
    Thanks
    One gallon is too small even for dwarfs. You should get at least a 2.5 gallon. Smaller tanks get over heated, get dirty faster and do not have room for the frog to swim. With such a small tank, you could get rid of the filter and do regular water changes. These frogs have a lateral line system (like fish) which allows them to detect prey by monitoring the water patterns around them. The filter may stress out the frog through constant wave motion. Also, bloodworms are a no-no. They don't have the nutritional value that the frogs need and don't digest well causing the frog to bloat. The one-gallon tanks are good for bettas. There are a lot of people on the forum that keep dwarfs, they make great pets, especially if you have a small group of them. Good luck with your frogs
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

FrogmanGav

These frogs are not to keen on bright lighting conditions so make sure you have a hidey hole for the frog to go into so it can feel safe and ensure that the light is not constantly on as it will make the frog stressed out in the long term.

If your filter is making a loud noise what you could do it dismantle it underwater when it is clean and this will get any trapped air out of it which is most likely the cause of the noise coming from it.

Ideal food for these guys is reptomin which can be picked up with relative ease, the odd earthworm is also a nice little treat for them but make sure you cut it up so it can fit in the frogs mouth.

Hope this helps you out.

Gav

ARMS87

welcome

Haliburton

I bought two ADF's from Petsmart and the guy who helped me grabbed them in the tank with his hand and transferred them to a bag with water. I have read several times that they should NEVER BE TAKEN OUT OF WATER. Will they be ok? I have read that they are playful and funny (floating and exploring).

It's been four days and they are still acting very shy and only come out a little with no playing at all. Should I be concerned and return them?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haliburton View Post
    I bought two ADF's from Petsmart and the guy who helped me grabbed them in the tank with his hand and transferred them to a bag with water. I have read several times that they should NEVER BE TAKEN OUT OF WATER. Will they be ok? I have read that they are playful and funny (floating and exploring).
    Yes, as long as they don't dry out, they will be just fine.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by prodz84 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks

In addition to what has been said already, you should not feed a single dwarf frog a whole cube of anything. That is a ton of food that will not get eaten and will pollute the tank. Perhaps to putting the cube(of something besides bloodworm) into a plastic bag and beating it up and then throw in a couple of pieces pre thawed in a seperate container.

Thread Information