Thread: Toad Identification Help?

ShiftingStarlight

Exclamation Toad Identification Help?

Hello all, I'm new here so forgive me for asking, but can anyone here help out with a little toad ID? I won't post any pictures yet, I want to be sure I'm in the correct topic first. I didn't see a board for Identification so I figured here was the best place. ^^;

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mattiez

Default Re: Toad Identification Help?

I think you are! Post away! If he's a wild toad, make sure to include your/his location

ShiftingStarlight

Okay, I'm just going to go ahead and post a few pictures. I've never seen such a drastic colour morph- I'm not sure what to think about it, but I'm gonna keep it at least for the time being. Good thing I've got a spare 20 long lying around!

I took the dog out a few minutes past six this morning, and these two little guys were sitting right off the concrete. You can see how red he is. It seems like they may both be the same species.

You can see the black stripes on the leg in the third picture. What an adorable little fella<3 I'm only surprised right now because I've lived here in Oklahoma 95% of my life, have been out of doors constantly since I was old enough to walk, captured hundreds of toads, and have never seen one this red. The only red toads I've seen were only reddish, and had noticeable spots, top and bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Mattiez

Very interesting morph indeed! From the looks of it, I'd say regular bufo americanus, as most guides seem to say the range from grey to green to brown to red... Though that is a very vibrant red! Quite unique little buddies you found yourself there. I made my guess based on 5 mins of googling. Hopefully when an experienced member checks this out they can give you a more correct answer.

ShiftingStarlight

Quote Originally Posted by Mattiez View Post
    Very interesting morph indeed! From the looks of it, I'd say regular bufo americanus, as most guides seem to say the range from grey to green to brown to red... Though that is a very vibrant red! Quite unique little buddies you found yourself there. I made my guess based on 5 mins of googling. Hopefully when an experienced member checks this out they can give you a more correct answer.
    Lol, had to fix the pictures, they were embedded on accident. Buut, you can see them in HIGH DEFINITION now. Be awed. :O

But yes, thank you for the input! I'm going to investigate this further when I set the tank up after lunch and can get a good long look at them.

Kurt

I am seconding the ID. I believe this to be Anaxyrus (Bufo) americanus. Nicest one I have ever seen. I am kind of jealous. Of course some of the more Bufonid knowledgeable member might disagree with my ID. We will see.

ShiftingStarlight

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I am seconding the ID. I believe this to be Anaxyrus (Bufo) americanus. Nicest one I have ever seen. I am kind of jealous. Of course some of the more Bufonid knowledgeable member might disagree with my ID. We will see.

After some digging around, I think I may have a solid answer. I believe it is Bufo americanus charlesmithi, Dwarf American Toad. Perfect description- Usually reddish in colour, next to no prominent bumps or spotting, and the typical cream belly with possible spots in the upper chest area. And their range overlaps to right about where I am! Mystery possibly solved? It's just a slight bigger than the typical length, maybe it's a hybrid?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would bet money on Bufo americanus.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Welcome to the forum, yes, Bufo americanus charlesmithi for the red one. The red or reddish-brown ones are female in this subspecies. Here's a photo of a pair from northeast Oklahoma take in April this year:

The other toad looks like a Bufo woodhousii (Woodhouse's Toad). I am guessing you are in the eastern half of Oklahoma.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [Ireland]

The one on the left might be a male Bufo americanus charlesmithi, the more I think about it.

Kurt

Either way that subspecies of americanus is much more attractive then the one we have here.

Nationality
    [United States]

wow, that is a beautiful toad!
    God bless,

Laura

Nationality
    [Ireland]

They're not usually as ruby red as ShiftingStarlight's female.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok i really want to buy him he is awesome.

Thread Information