Thread: A quick story of frogs and frogs to come

FrogmanGav

Default A quick story of frogs and frogs to come

I bought my frogs about a year and a half ago. Totally oblivious to what i wanted to put in my tank I went to the pet shop and I had a look around for some fish, I didnt have a heater or anything special so i opted for some coldwater fish and as I was leaving the fish room I noticed in one of the tanks a frog swimming like a bullet to the surface of the water for a breath and I thought to myself. 'I want that'.

I bought two african clawed frogs that day for 7 quid each and a couple of fish which I know little about, and I took them back to my house and put the lot in the tank. Two days later I looked in the tank and both fish were dead, stuck to the filter. Thinking about it now, it was probably the frogs that killed them by constantly nibbling them and generally giving them a hard time. Anyway, I was left with these two frogs and I didnt know much about them so I started trawling the internet for information and quickly found out what was good and what was bad for them and how to care for them properly.

After a few months of raising them they were starting to grow and got really quite cool to watch. One night I was having a few people over and one of my friends was really quite taken aback and he made the choice there and then to get a clawed frog for himself. I told him that were quite social creatures and to get the last two from the shop. So he did that the next day. I gave him a quick rundown of what to do with the frogs but I dont think he listened as two months later one of the frogs, which had a huge bubble on its head died. It turns out he was feeding them fish flakes and some kind of liquefied bloodworm...

Its now a year and a half later and I just got a call from my friend telling me that he no longer wants the remaining frog. Iv decided to take the frog back off him as I could probably take better care of the little guy than him.

The point being is that over the past year and a half I have got really interested in these frogs and I feel I have found myself a genuinely interesting hobby in taking care of these frogs and have had nothing but a positive experience in raising them, watching them mature and do their uniquely froggish things.

I can well and truly say that iv caught the frog fever!

More tanks. bigger tanks.more frogs

Gav

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: A quick story of frogs and frogs to come

Good luck with your new frog

There is no doubt that once you experienced these frogs, you will be a fan for life. African clawed frogs may not be the most beautiful and seemingly ho-hum, but they have all the qualities you are looking for in a frog - easy to care for, very hardy, easy to breed and fun to watch. Have fun!
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information