Thread: So that is why they call them Leopard Frogs...I thought it was the spots...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Exclamation So that is why they call them Leopard Frogs...I thought it was the spots...

My nephew caught a Juvenile Southern Leopard frog the other day. I was at work when he brought it to the house. My girls, being ever so helpful, placed him in a tank for me...

Now, let me add here that I had just set up two new ten gallon terrariums of some salamanders. These tanks are right on the shelf next to the ten gallon frog tanks. the girls meant to put the Leopard in one of the empty tanks...

I now have a very well fed leopard frog. My Acris crepitans and Pseudacris triseriata juveniles are missing in action...

I am a bit mad about the P. triseriata...he was a neat little frog.

Either way, here is a prime example of why you should not mix ranids with other smaller frogs...
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Default Re: So that is why they call them Leopard Frogs...I thought it was the spots...

That's pretty rough Johnny, sorry to hear about that. Losing the Pseudacris would sadden me too. Toads are about 5x worse at eating other anurans though (exception being bullfrogs - those would eat you).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Default Re: So that is why they call them Leopard Frogs...I thought it was the spots...

So so so sorry. That sucks!

Nationality
    [United States]

Good news! I was cleaning out the tank in question tonight, and found my P. triseriata. The little guy was in hiding, but is uninjured and doing well.

Senior Leopardo was saved from becoming fish bait by this discovery and has been released back into his drainage ditch.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Kurt

That is good news.

coltiger

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    That's pretty rough Johnny, sorry to hear about that. Losing the Pseudacris would sadden me too. Toads are about 5x worse at eating other anurans though (exception being bullfrogs - those would eat you).
    I had a chinese bullfrog that would eat apple snails...at that time I didnt know that the frog could eat a snail that big or even have an interest in such a slow moving thing.

Thread Information