Thread: Pictures of my two

Default Pictures of my two

Here are some updated pictures of Ruby and Moe. They came home for Christmas but are happy to be back in the dorm, in their nice big tank. And yes I did go overboard lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pictures of my two

they look sooo great!!!! I can't get over how big they are getting!!! Has Moe started making mating calls at night yet?

My future mother in law has two of their siblings, and the male has started making his mating calls this past week

tyjare

I was thinking about picking some up for my dorm but i guess you beat me to it .

FrogmanGav

In that first picture there. Im pretty sure I can see a slight but very noticeable frog smile

Thats two very healthy frogs you have there, and a nice setup for them as well well done

No calling yet, to be honest I still can't tell if Moe is a boy or girl lol.

They are great for the dorm, we are allowed a 20 gallon tank at our school which is more than a lot of schools allow. Be careful though, many school forbid anything but fish. Ours allows anything that is fully aquatic.

Nationality
    [United States]

lol
    Is it at all possible to get a picture of them side by side from above? (maybe put them in a tupperware for a photo session)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Great frogs! In this particular species, both sexually mature males and females will call. The males will have black nuptial pads on their fingers while the female has an enlarged cloaca (vent). Females have two distinct calls - a rapid, rapping sound (female is receptive to male advances) that the male will respond to wildly, or a slow, ticking call which will break off any relationship and the male will abruptly stop calling. Just wait for some wild duets which can get quite loud.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

I don't know if I want to take them out, if I don't put the lid on the container right away they jump out, trying to get them into the container to bring them back was interesting. They can find the littlest gaps in the fingers of that hand covering the cup I caught them with. Luckily all jumping occurred over water.

I can tell Ruby is female because of the large cloaca. Moe looks like he might have something going on back there, but not nearly as big as Ruby's. As far as nuptial pads, I can't tell. Anyone have pictures showing what they look like on dark colored frogs? I've seen them on albinos but they're rather obvious.

In any case, I can always wait a while and see if there's any romance, then I'll have my answer lol.

Nationality
    [United States]

haha "romance" won't give you an answer with young frogs - - when young frogs are "learning about love"...males will amplex females, males will amplexus males, females will amplex a male and females will amplex eachother - - some tough lessons lol

I will try and get a few good pictures of my male Phantoms nuptial pads so you can have a photo to compare too, I am also gonna check already taken photos to see if any are what you are looking for...

Nationality
    [United States]

In this photo - a lot was going on but Phantom is the top frog and you can see the shading on his inner arms

same as with this photo

If these don't help I will try and take new ones today (I don't mind excuses to take more froggy photos!)

Well yesterday I walked into my dorm to find Moe latched onto Ruby...backwards lol. Today he was facing the right way. My babies are growing up *sniffles*.
    Last edited by tgampper; January 31st, 2011 at 07:16 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]

too funny!!! their learning is quite amusing to watch!!! just wait until he manages to get her from her tummy side and not her back - them fighting over which way they are going to sit is quite funny!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

These frogs can be really funny. A while back, I had a male who insisted on grabbing the female from below and he swam upside down. While this was going on, the female obviously was not happy and constantly ticking (the female release call), but the male didn't understand

I now have a pair of male frogs that are amplexing quite often. These frogs engage in very interesting behaviors. That's why I keep them

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Pictures showing my two males in amplexus. FYI (for those who don't know): Note the black "gloves" on the forelimbs. These are called nuptial pads, a secondary sexual characteristic of male clawed frogs.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

blueangel459

All the frogs are beautiful. Esther and Grady are Ruby and Moe's sister and brother. I love watching them, they make me laugh. Hence the names, from Sanford and Son tv show.

Yesterday I looked into the tank and saw that Moe is indeed a male, he has nuptial pads now. It's so strange how one day they were not there, the next day they were.

-Here's a question though. When do I consider them full grown? And how much do you think I should be feeding them (in reptomin sticks)? I've switched to every other day feeding now.

Nationality
    [United States]

they are still young, born in July, I wouldn't consider them full grown until fall of next year....and Ruby might not be full grown until next winter.

as for reptomin sticks - - 12-15 for the two of them every other day is fine, increase it as they get bigger.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Collegekid View Post
    Here's a question though. When do I consider them full grown? And how much do you think I should be feeding them (in reptomin sticks)? I've switched to every other day feeding now.
    Generally, males will become sexually mature at about 12 months of age (2-3 inches); females around 9 months (3+ inches).

I usually feed 3 Repto-Min sticks (broken in half) per frog three days a week. Adults should be fed no more than 3 times a week (you can alternate foods if you like).

Thread Information