Thread: Gray Tree Frog "Vacation" in my House questions

molingr

Default Gray Tree Frog "Vacation" in my House questions

Hello everyone, from a 3-day-old frog keeper.

I became thus just a few days ago when my mother found a gray tree frog sitting in one of her flower pots (not sure which of the 2 similar species it might be). This was the first time I had seen such a frog in my 21 years living in Maryland, and was so interested I read the GTF care sheet on this site and soon went out and bought a 5.5 gallon aquarium along with some other things to make a quick setup for the frog. I know that his accommodations are small, but I am not planning on keeping him long (I have to go back to school at the end of the month) and just want to make the frog's month with me as comfortable as possible, while giving me a good chance to enjoy him/her as well.

I have a nice layer of the ground coconut base, a small tupperware container of water, and a healthy group of propped-up logs/branches, sprinkled with some half-dead leaves and twigs I brought from some bushes in my yard. I put a sheet of bark on the back window as backdrop. It's pretty cramped in there, but the frog seems very healthy, eating all the crickets I've been feeding him (probably around 10) in the few days since I set it up.

The only strange thing is that although he is a tree frog, he has been spending most of his time buried under the largest log in the terrarium, where I can't see him. It may be selfish of me to complain of this, but I was hoping he might choose to hang out on one of the many perching spots I have set up for him.

I was just wondering if you all have any tips/criticisms for me to help optimize the little guy's short stay with me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gray Tree Frog "Vacation" in my House questions

Welcome to the site. It sounds like it's too dry or perhaps not warm enough for the frog - what temperature is it in the terrarium? Bear in mind also that new captives are very shy and require lots of hiding places. Good luck.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gray Tree Frog "Vacation" in my House questions

Mine all did this also when I first got them...it was partially them being scaredy-cats, partially me failing to provide enough horizontal branches, and partially their nocturnal natures. It takes a week or two, but they warm up to you quick when they do frog math:

"Big noisy mammal + disturbance in territory= FOOD!"
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Thread Information