Thread: 2 sick whites

Lorannah

Default 2 sick whites

Hello all. I have scanned the forum and hope i am not repeating anything here but i do have a few questions.
    To start it off I have 2 whites tree frogs. One I have had for 13 years and the other i've had for about 9.
    I left town for a few weeks and thought i had arranged someone to care for the frogs. That person did not follow through and apparently my frogs had not eaten the entire time i was out of town. When I came back the 13 year old could barely move, was very weak and wouldnt eat when i tried hand feeding. The other ate.
    Since then the 13 year old is VERY hard to feed. It took me 10 minutes on separate days to get her to eat anything. Now its been several days and she completely refuses to eat. Ive tried forcing her but she refuses. She also has a small bump on her lower lip that is not discolored but did drip some blood today as i moved her. Does anyone know what this could be in combination with her refusing to eat? Maybe separate issues?
    The other 9 year old has issues too. She eats just fine but she's HUGE. I have never seen her this swollen or "bloated" as i read. I looked her over and she's swollen everywhere. Her stomach is huge and her throat is very swollen as well.
    If you guys could help i'd REALLY appreciate it.
    Thanks so much!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 2 sick whites

I'm not an expert but I'm sure some pics would help anyone who can provide some help here Lorannah.

Lorannah

Sorry about that. The first two are the 13 yr old. Notice the white bump on bottom lip. This was bleeding earlier and dripping down his chest. Then a body shot of 13 yr old.
    Third picture is the 9 year old. Much bigger than usual.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Are you finding poop from either frog? I would guess the 9 year old found something it could eat even if was something like substrate....... but thats a guess.

Hopefully you have a Herp Vet in your area and thats where I'd be heading myself.
    Poor 13 year old definitely looks like he needs some weight added on.

Lorannah

I havent been looking for poop. (never occurred to me) I just finished cleaning the aquarium too so the evidence is gone. I'll keep an eye out for poo for sure. I emailed a vet yesterday and I hope he will respond soon.

bshmerlie

I would say get them to a vet Asap. Is it possible the person watching your frogs fed them something they shouldn't eat?

Leefrogs

I would check first aide section on left till u get them to vet. Something bout honey and pedialite for the emaciated one. Swollen one, no idea where to start, exept for vet. Maybe a warm bath to make him poop. Good to see whites with such age, you've done good so far. Hope u have a good vet close, and u can get in soon. Best of luck dear.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

First of all I am NOT an expert, I just had my WTF go through an illness, and I want to try and help anybody I can.

I would check their eyes and look for cloudiness or them "bugging out", that could be a sign of vitamin deficiency.

Another option is always infection, and for that you'd definitely need a vet.

I'm sorry that's all the information I could give to you right now, and am so sorry that this happened to your frogs because of someone else's ignorance and lack of foresight. I really hope your little guys/gals get better, 13 and 9 years are a long time to keep a pet, healthy especially. I'll keep my fingers crossed, keep us updated!

Leefrogs

Hi Lorannah. Been a while since we heard bout your frogs. Just checking back to see if u have any news for us. Did they eat and deflate? Or did u end up taking them in? Just keeping your thread new also. Keep in touch!!!!!!

Leefrogs

bumpup

Thread Information