Thread: Temperature!

jaguilar15

Default Temperature!

I bought a 75w for my pixies and the temperature went up to 75Degrees this is fine during the day or should i find a way to turn it up more?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

onedge30

Default Re: Temperature!

You can regulate the temp a little more by closing off the top vents.

jaguilar15

Quote Originally Posted by onedge30 View Post
    You can regulate the temp a little more by closing off the top vents.
    yes i have it blocked off. the temperature stays at 75. Although i do have some big gaps through the top.

This is the type of lightbulb i am using, and i'm wondering if this is fine. It has been working fine for me for the past two days.
    Swamp Glo Basking Spot Lamp (75w) PT3781 - RM28.00 : Exoreptiles Malaysia:Online Reptiles Store - One Stop Exotic Pets & Reptiles Centre, We sell best quality Amphibians, Arthropods, Lizards, Snakes, Turtle, Tortoises, and Mammals

jaguilar15

Oh yeah one more thing, also it's in a ten gallon

Roman

Hey Jag,
    I wouldn't mess with bulbs... Go get a 20 long tank and get a under heater pad to put on one side of it. I have a 30 breeder with the same concept and it works Great! All my little ones digest their food with no problem and it doesn't burn their fat little bellies.
    The only complaint I have is the coco fiber. You will have to wet it everyday cuz the heat drys it out faster. But, thats a minor thing...
    Oh, its been getting Really cold at night the last week, like in the 40s. I have a ceramic heat element over the water dish to keep the water at a decent temp and cover half the mesh screen with a towel to help keep the heat in.
    The reason I say not to use bulbs is mostly personal preference but, it can dry them out. Also, heat rises, so I like the underheat because it seems to keep the whole thing nice and toasty.
    Oh, also also, I had a day bulb in there and, they seemed to not like it. I dont think it was burning them tho... It seemed like they were hiding from the actual brightness of the light itself. I have heard that they can see red light so, I never tried it.

Cheers Big Ears

jaguilar15

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    Hey Jag,
    I wouldn't mess with bulbs... Go get a 20 long tank and get a under heater pad to put on one side of it. I have a 30 breeder with the same concept and it works Great! All my little ones digest their food with no problem and it doesn't burn their fat little bellies.
    The only complaint I have is the coco fiber. You will have to wet it everyday cuz the heat drys it out faster. But, thats a minor thing...
    Oh, its been getting Really cold at night the last week, like in the 40s. I have a ceramic heat element over the water dish to keep the water at a decent temp and cover half the mesh screen with a towel to help keep the heat in.
    The reason I say not to use bulbs is mostly personal preference but, it can dry them out. Also, heat rises, so I like the underheat because it seems to keep the whole thing nice and toasty.
    Oh, also also, I had a day bulb in there and, they seemed to not like it. I dont think it was burning them tho... It seemed like they were hiding from the actual brightness of the light itself. I have heard that they can see red light so, I never tried it.

Cheers Big Ears
    Okay thanks! so instead of the heater pad being under the tank, you just put it on the side of the tank? Well it seems that my frogs like the light and they seem to jump in the water more often also. It doesn't look like the light is burning them at all neither and it keeps the fiber moist

pixiefrogman

I also recommend the heat pad. It will also raise the humidity, if you have the top closed off. The heating pad needs to go under the tank so the frogs will get belly heat to aid in digestion like Roman mentioned. Also light bulbs will heat the tank, but they tend to dry the tank out.

Roman

Lol no... thats not what I meant. You put the pad under the tank but just on one side of it. That way the frog can choose what temp he/she really wants.

Leefrogs

U can aim light near two sides of glass also. This heats the glass and has a longer raidiating effect. Heat mat is way to go, but if u need a couple degrees and have mat off this may work. My glass gets to 90.

jaguilar15

Okay thanks guys, and how much do these heating pads go for? But i've heard that the heating pad can cause burns to the bellies of frogs. Do you have the pad running for 12 hours a day or 24hr a day?

Leefrogs

the cheepest pad you'll find is 20$ and for a 10 gal. I leave mine on and my temps stay at 70 at night(usually) and with full spectrum and basking bulb and human heating pad I get up to 80/85. But it's real cold here. and FYI I have whites tree frogs who need cooling at night

onedge30

Cheapest heatng pads- CVS 12x15 in, $16 with NO auto shut off. It is a CVS brand.

Kevin1

It's getting hard here to find those heat pads WITHOUT auto shut off.
    I always get employees saying," but this one is a higher quality" and blah blah blah.
    The human heat pads are better IMO. You get more for about the same price or less than the "reptile designed" ones. In fact most of my herp supplies are bought at Home Depot.LOL Most of the herp stuff sold at pet stores is a load of **** anyway not to mention the prices, INFLATED. hahahahahaha

onedge30

Kevin, When it became near impossible to find heating pads WITHOUT the auto shut off, I have had more than one verbal melt down with the pharmacy staff. LOL

Not getting loud or belligerent, but just saying "I want to control my own F'in safety!!" Don't put a safety feature on something for the few (I hope) idiots out there that cannot handle their own business and need an auto shut off!!! UGH!

Ok, I will step off the soap box before I really get on a roll about others regulating my life.

16. This member thanks onedge30 for this post:

Kevin1

HAHA I couldn't agree more.

Leefrogs

And I thaught I was being naughty by using regular heat pad. Good to know!!

Beardo

I highly recommend the Reptile-Therm heat pads sold at reptilebasics.com.....they are low wattage pads that do not need a thermostat most of the time and are perfect for frogs.....I have one for my juvenile Pixie and it works perfectly.....I was using a heat lamp but it had too many negatives, most of which have already been mentioned.

jaguilar15

Quote Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
    I highly recommend the Reptile-Therm heat pads sold at reptilebasics.com.....they are low wattage pads that do not need a thermostat most of the time and are perfect for frogs.....I have one for my juvenile Pixie and it works perfectly.....I was using a heat lamp but it had too many negatives, most of which have already been mentioned.
    Thanks i'll take a look at that!

jaguilar15

Thanks guys! i actually was kind of force to try out the heat pad because ironically my 75w bulb went out, don't know how but it did under a week. I actually have my tank on the floor for now so i put the heating pad on the side of the tank and it's working with a plexi-glass to cover the top to keep the humidity and heat. The heat is at 75 for now

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I use a heat pad on the side and 10w 12volt halogen lighting, high up well out of reach. The whole lot runs through a thermostat. If I turn up the heat they tend to dig in to the cooler side. Never had problems with digesting food, mine seem to be fairly temperature tolerant.

Thread Information