Thread: Bumblebee toads noob

Zero138

Default Bumblebee toads noob

We are looking at setting up a bumblebee toad 5.5 gallon tank. The care article on this site says 2 is what I should get. So how should it be set up and are these toads active? Handleable? How are they in general. We are getting these toads because we really want a visual tank and toads are what will fit in our spare tank. Thanks for any help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Eric Walker

Default Re: Bumblebee toads noob

First off let me say i love my toads. yes they are very active. they are diurnal.
    I have been houseing a group of 5 since they started comeing back in feb 2010.
    I myself would not recomend putting anything into something smaller than a 10 gal for more than a short time. I also dont recomend holding your frogs either. If handleing is needed than OK but not if its not needed. they are easy to handle when needed since they dont take off like a treefrog. they also dont have a problem haveing a stair down with me. Are you able to keep plenty of Fruit flys going? they eat alot.

I give these guys a 9 out of 10 for great amphibian pets.

this is how I had them set up for quite some time. it had a false bottom and drain plug just incase it was needed. eco earth and fir bark substrate.

I dont have a pic of the current setup

my toads like to spend alot of time up in the pothos leaves

4. This member thanks Eric Walker for this post:

Zero138

thanks for the info... Whats a good price on these guys? a local store has them for $40 is that normal. I really want 2 no more no less, so im thinking maybe 2 for 70... but that sees like a lot for toads.. am i mistaken? would this be a good buy? are they common? i am going to a reptile show would it be likely that i would find one there or are they rare?
    Im really exited... can we set up a 75 land 25 water tank or do these need land?
    Thanks again,
    Brandon

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Have you had a chance to read this yet? http://www.frogforum.net/toad-care-a...-breeding.html

Eric Walker

seths care sheet is the best you will find, the one in the link above. he has been
    gracious enough to join in on the stelzneri conversation on dendroboard and answer plenty of questions directly.

here is a link for someone who has cb for sale. Randy is a great guy and was one of the only ones since they started to come back in in feb 2010 to have luck raising them out to toadlets. and at 15 each you cant go wrong..
    http://www.eandkdartfrogs.com/id47.html

99% chance if you see them at a show they will be wc. I paid 20 each for a group of 5. not to long back though I did find a very large female hideing on a table at a show.
    they had it priced at 40. Im sure no one even saw it all day the way they had it hideing and not labled. At the end Of the show I picked it up for thirty and had no problem paying that for a very larg female that looked healthy.

and a link to randys breeding efforts.
    http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/lou...-spawning.html

Zero138

awesome thanks for the info. and yes ive read like every care guide i could find lol. but i wanted to know what the real experience is with them and housing instead of an article about them, you all have been great.
    I will be going to a reptile show on the 22nd and i hope to get some toads. the guy you listed is the same price as the local store here after shipping and they dont have any right now, so if i cant get any at the show i will get some locally. what type of lighting do these need and once again i really want a natural setting so can i do a 75-25 land water? and what are your favorite plants? moss as substrate? once again thanks everyone! im so exited i never thought id get a toad but i cant wait!!!

Eric Walker

most of the wc that have come in have been in good shape, so If you know you are getting wc and dont mind and are prepared to deal with any issues than go for it.
    In a tank that small kill the water feature, just not a good idea IMO. when i first had mine in that tub with the false bottom the only direct lighting came in from the vent that was 7'' by 7'' in the lid. there was a light strip above it with t8 4 foot bulbs that I use for the rest of my racks other than that ambiant light from the room. I only have pothos in my toad tank so light is not an issue.

I'll go snap a picture of the new setup quick and post it here for you.

Eric Walker

they need to be moved into a rainchaimber for breeding since there is no water source, but i have a longer tank i m planning a toad build for with one.
    the bottom layer is a natural mix of coir and some other stuff from joshes.
    under the log has no moss just the subsrate so it stays a bit dryer under there.
    the top has a vert kit installed as well for easy access and ventalation.

Zero138

Awesome thanks so much I just calls the local store an they said 2 for 70 so after shipping and everything from the other guy I save 10 bucks locally! Can't wait

Nationality
    [United States]

I'd strongly recommend checking out the Josh's Frogs care sheet on bumble bee toads. They make awesome pets!

Josh's Frogs How-To Guides » Blog Archive » Bumble Bee Toad Care and Breeding
    Josh's Frogs - Herps, Feeders, and all the Reptile Supplies you need! Same day shipping (800)691-8178

Thread Information