Thread: Waterfall feature.

Jace

Default Waterfall feature.

We would like to put a waterfall feature in the 55 gallon we are setting up. However, having never done this before, we are drawing a blank as to what would be the best equipment and set-up for it. I would love to hear of other members advice or even see some pics of other members setups. Thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Waterfall feature.

Zoo Med makes these things called Hydro balls, on the packge it tell you to it.

into

The simplest thing you can do is purchase a submersible pump and some tubing. That's what I have... ummm, I'm still trying to get it to look like a proper waterfall though. I have the water pumping up, but getting it to flow downward in a nice looking flow is the problem. So far all I've been able to create rain, a fountain and right now, I have a wall of water that comes down on one side... I may do more with this idea as my WTF likes to sit by it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have had the best luck with waterfall type features using this type of pump/filter:
    Whisper

There are a number of ways to incorporate it as a waterfall feature. I have had the best luck with Expanding foam such as great stuff, however, a bit of work with some pieces of slate and some DAP brand aquarium silicone are best. Expanding foam is too unstable in the long term to use in my opinion- it shrinks.

The thread on here I posted a while back about my FBT enclosure shows the use of this type of filter and expanding foam. The construction thread is on Caudata.org as "Caudate Bar".

You can utilize small fountain pumps ant tubing, however in my experience with vivaria, these type of systems clog up quickly in an enclosure that has live animals in it. They can quickly become more trouble than they are worth.

There are also quite a few OTS (Off The Shelf) waterfall features available at pet shops, however I feel they look rather unnatural. I am a huge advocate of realistic looking vivaria.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Thread Information