Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 25 gallon vivarium

Jace

Default Re: New 25 gallon vivarium

I am going to try experimenting with moss soon, as I have a couple of other tanks that could benefit from it once I get them set up. However, I have completely changed the toad tank to a water enclosure with turtle docks as land areas and silk plants hanging from the side. The toads call day in and day out, so I think they like it!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

When you get a chance why don't you post a picture of how you have your tank set up now. I also do the same thing with the turtle docks and the water base. It makes for keeping messy toads clean and low maintenance. I even carved out a section in one of my turtle docks for a live plant just to add color.

Nice tank. But I cant see well since I cant click it open so Iam looking at a distance picture. So my question is... Is that gravel in the land area? Or soil? Sorry I cant tell.

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    When you get a chance why don't you post a picture of how you have your tank set up now. I also do the same thing with the turtle docks and the water base. It makes for keeping messy toads clean and low maintenance. I even carved out a section in one of my turtle docks for a live plant just to add color.
    Cheri, I have included a couple of pics of what my FBT tank looks like right now; I have slightly less water in it. I cannot decide whether to add gravel or sand, or just leave it bare, as it makes it fairly easy to clean up. FBTs sure are messy!! I love the turtle docks and I would love to add live plants, but my success rate for the plants is dismal....any suggestions would be great as my toads are used to me experimenting with their setup every few months!

Kevin, that is jungle bark you are seeing in the original pictures. I got rid of it pretty fast as it stuck to the toads and got in the water and was a general pain the you-know-what. I then switched it to soil with a top layer of moss before changing it completely to the setup you see below. Typical woman-always changing her mind!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

abeloneto

How beautiful colours!
    And I would put some aquatic plants in it as well.
    That makes me remember – I need to buy some new ones myself.
    But otherwise very nice indeed!

Jace

Thank you! What aquatic plants would you recommend? I was told Duck weed, but I am having a heck of a time finding any.

Just wanted to say:
    you can get cheaper lights/hoods in a hardware store rather than a petstore. Which in a petstore you pay an arm and a leg for a hood and lights(100-200depending on size of hood and quality, lights-50-80bucks)
    I found lights as cheap as 20 bucks in lowes! I bought two tubes! They were full spectrum lights. They are just as good as any light in a petstore. Oh also dont ever use "basking" lights. They dont produce alot of amount of uvb/uva radiation. They're just like any regular lightbulb in a pretty little box. If you want a bulb rather than a tube go for a vapor bulb. They throw off some heat and enough uvb/uva. Also stuff like "aquarium" glue you can find it in a hardware store for cheaper. In a petstore Id find it for 10bucks and in a hardware store I actually found one for 4bucks. Which in the long runs save money for more stuff, for the frogs or any other stuff. Though Ived been known to bargain hunt here and there I have to do it more when it comes with my animals since their stuff cost alot of cash. If its uvb/uva lighting you need go for ones that dont throw off heat. Cause if they do and water splashes a little bit on them by any chance they well break(when hot things meet cool water they break. Well depends). :O As for heat lamps. You may want to be carefull with them as well. I found that out the hard way. They sometimes can explode(even if the wattage is right), though this is my experience. It never happened to my friend, just thought Id share my findings and personal experience. Also when you look for lights, I think frogs/toads normally dont get alot of radiation. But here is the thing when light travels its 1000 of uvb hitting the ground. While when you use a normal light it just throws off 40. As for full spectrum lights can mimic the spectrum, but they wont really go that high.

Edit: I was a little bit off in the numbers. Here is what the page said
    "As light travels to the earth, the ground is hit by 1,000,000 lux, and even in the forext canopy its hit by 7,000 lux. while a normal light only produces 40lux."

tortoisetrust.org/articles/lighting.html
    I know, I know frogs and turtles have different care requirement. But even if they dont "need" uvb as much as a reptile like a tortoise or turtle or even iguana. I think they will benefit from having SOME uvb/uva put off onto them. Just take a look at that article. Of course this only applies to diurnal creatures or if you wish it to be more natural. You know like getting a full cycle. For my terrarium Iam sure I am going to give off some uvb. Even if the toads hide during the day. Just some food for thought. If the animal is hidden in leaf litter in nature. Or digs under the earth a few inches deep. Iam sure they still soak up some rays, not as much as they would be if fully exposed but still enough.

This is out of what I think.

Hopes this help.

Jace

Thanks Kevin-I will definitely keep that in mind. Right now, with froglets and toadlets all around, I don't have time for plants....but one day I will give it a good honest try! And then scream for help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Thanks Kevin-I will definitely keep that in mind. Right now, with froglets and toadlets all around, I don't have time for plants....but one day I will give it a good honest try! And then scream for help!!
    I remember hearing someone say on this forum about how frogs and toads dont need light. But... In all honesty in nature they still get some uvb/uva penetrating the ground to them. Or wherever they are. Since this set up is for firebellies you may want to give it a whirl. Its not going to hurt them either way. So why not try? I think this would be good for fish too and any animal in all honesty.

Jace

They are set up next to a window that is frequently open (the shades that is) and I've noticed that they will sit on the turtle docks and bask in the sun. And they face the window, too. It's kind of cute in a Pod People kind of way-9 toads all facing the same direction, not moving....I've watched too many horror movies apparently!!

They are set up next to a window that is frequently open (the shades that is) and I've noticed that they will sit on the turtle docks and bask in the sun. And they face the window, too. It's kind of cute in a Pod People kind of way-9 toads all facing the same direction, not moving....I've watched too many horror movies apparently!!
    You know glass reflects the rays of the sun. So only a very small percent gets in? Especially if your window is closed. Theyd get a very small amount of it. They should have more uvb and uva exposed to them.

Though that is adorable. My toads are a little bit weird. They like to bask too. The larger one will sit on the heighest top of the small terrarium to soak up the rays and then the other ones followsuit him. I do this with my turtles light. Like I put it next to my turtles tank since its light its very powerful. But since its a distance of two feet it gets a certain ammount. Which for now is okay. I want to expose them to atleast 7,000 lux. Or 10,000lux.

Thank you! What aquatic plants would you recommend? I was told Duck weed, but I am having a heck of a time finding any.
    If you're ok using wild plants, you might be able to harvest some from a swamp/pond. It's pretty rampant out here, maybe it's not in BC? If it is, it's a spready little plant that you can cull without any fear of disturbing its progress. Actually, it usually just expands to instantly fill the space.

I'd use duckweed for my goldfish, but it gets in their filter so they get Canadian Pondweed, another cull from the wild. It's an easy to grow plant that will survive indoors, underwater, and it's safe for fish (they eat it), but I haven't used it for frogs.

I think you've said before you've managed to kill pothos? It's water tolerant as well. You can propagate it by putting cuttings of the vine into a jar filled with water and leaving in a window or under an artificial light. This way you can always have backups if the frogs manage to smash it.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    If you're ok using wild plants, you might be able to harvest some from a swamp/pond. It's pretty rampant out here, maybe it's not in BC? If it is, it's a spready little plant that you can cull without any fear of disturbing its progress. Actually, it usually just expands to instantly fill the space.

I'd use duckweed for my goldfish, but it gets in their filter so they get Canadian Pondweed, another cull from the wild. It's an easy to grow plant that will survive indoors, underwater, and it's safe for fish (they eat it), but I haven't used it for frogs.

I think you've said before you've managed to kill pothos? It's water tolerant as well. You can propagate it by putting cuttings of the vine into a jar filled with water and leaving in a window or under an artificial light. This way you can always have backups if the frogs manage to smash it.
    Agreed but by propagating it, you should know itll take a while for it to grow roots and all. In any case you would just want to take 3inches of the stalk with a leaf of course and put it in small jar with water that contains nutrients(poo?). Make sure the leaf doesnt get wet. A wet leaf is bound to rot.

As for taking wild plants and putting them in a tank Id say you should "quarantine" the plants for a couple of weeks. Personally Id use meds used for fish. Just make sure the plants can take itand that its either safe for plants or if it isnt is used in half way. Im alittle bit paranoid about aquatic plants when it comes from ponds and introducing them with a species of animal that isnt even native to this region. As for spreading duckweed and any sort of pond plant. I dont think its that hard to do so. Duckweed is like something that you cant kill. Its very hardy. and spreads like a wild fire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information