Thread: Outrageous (in a bad way)

FrogFarm

Default Outrageous (in a bad way)

I just felt the need to post this and share my outrage, as well as confusion!
    The photo speaks for itself, an ADF and ACF together in a bowl.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FrogFarm

Default Re: Outrageous (in a bad way)

-------
    Last edited by FrogFarm; January 4th, 2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Accidental Post (haha)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Totally outrageous

I realize that these frogs are easy to care for, but this is an example of frog abuse.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

FrogFarm

I know! Keeping Hymenochirus in a bowl is abuse enough, in my opinion.
    Keeping Xenopus in a bowl is even worse, obviously.
    Keeping both together in a bowl, what could they be thinking?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If you think that's bad, you should check out the ads showing a 2 gallon breeding tank for Xenopus.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

FrogFarm

What?
    I don't know much at all about Xenopus (besides what Jenste had taught me ) but even I would assume that they would need AT THE VERY LEAST a 10-15 gallon as a breeding tank, am correct me if I wrong.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I recommend at least 20-29 gallon, however Jen has had great results with a 75. When it comes to Xenopus, bigger is better.

FrogFarm

See I wasn't sure, but I know that anything under 10 gallons has got to be unacceptable.

TheBambooGoanna

That's awful

Jace

I agree-very unacceptable setup all the way around. Did you say anything to the people that did that??

FrogFarm

I know!
    I wish that I could tell the person who posted that how wrong their setup is, but the photo was posted on myspace and the user isn't responding to me at all.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

oh this actually makes me ill...

those are absolutely cruel conditions...that little ADF will not be around much longer in my opinion as that ACF grows..

and just as an aside...
    my large tank is set up as a community tank, but i keep it heated to dissuade any unplanned breeding...

I actually have had success by breeding them in a 10 gallon tank - -
    barebottom, no filter - just an aerator, a thermometer, a heater (turned off - explain more in a moment), and a good amount of floating water wisteria.
    I put the female in first and feed her extra earth worms and bloodworms to plump her up for breeding.
    after about 7-10 days, I put a divider in and put the female on one side, and the male on the other. leave them for about 48 hours.
    I do a large water change with cooler water by about 10-15 degrees, remove the divider and keep all the lights off.

this usually makes them think the rainy season has come - this is their breeding season. this has successfully stimulated them for mating for me.

Once they are finished, I remove the parents and turn on the heater for the eggs. Now I have the eggs in a tank perfect for raising - - heater, aerator, thermometer and water wisteria to help with water quality.

FrogFarm

Jen, I've been awaiting your reply on this one! I knew you'd share my feelings on this.
    I couldn't believe it.
    I get angry enough when I see people with a pair of dwarfs in a bowl or one of those "eco cube" things, let alone having an ACF stuck in something like that, and with the dwarf!?!
    It is just terrible on so many levels.

On the note of breeding - I wasn't sure but I didn't think your 75 was where the actual breeding went on. I got confused about this thinking; well then how does she pair them and such? Haha - That explains it!

Thread Information