Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whit's Tree Frog with Swollen leg and possible bloat, PLEASE HELP

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whit's Tree Frog with Swollen leg and possible bloat, PLEASE HELP

Brought Bruce back to the vet for his checkup a little early because of the appearance of the lesions.

The vet (a wonderful woman, I'm so lucky I found her.) thinks they could be from an external injury, like he got his foot caught on something and pulled it away quickly and got a deep scratch. Either that or it's from the infection. She said the cloudiness in his eyes should have cleared up by now with continued use of the eye drops so she's a little worried about that, so she had me continue the use of the drops along with the new antibiotic injection. I wish I had asked her for the name of the injection but she was really busy and had to move fast. I really do trust her though, through talking with her she seemed to know a lot about tree frogs in general and even told me she was going to make extra sure that the antibiotic she gave him was ok for White's.

She does agree that the cloudiness in his eyes is affecting his vision, I noticed he was having trouble seeing the crickets and even making his way around his viv, so I think that's why she gave him switched his antibiotics. I'm supposed to continue the use of the drops but stop the Baytril. She also gave me some blue stuff (don't have the name right in front of me) to dilute in water and soak his injured leg in to keep it from getting irritated, she also suggested I remove anything abrasive from his tank as it could have caused the injuries on his leg.

I've followed all her instructions and am supposed to take him back in 7 days for another recheck. Still keep your fingers crossed guys!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

So glad you found a vet that actually knows frogs and seems to be providing good advice and helping you keep up a positive attitude. Hope all goes well over the next week and Bruce improves.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Kisa..Im so pleased Bruce is doing well and has eaten (that is a really good sign). You are doing a great job. Bruce is in the best possible hands. Thank goodness you got him when you did. Keep us updated. Ive grown very fond of the little guy.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    So glad you found a vet that actually knows frogs and seems to be providing good advice and helping you keep up a positive attitude. Hope all goes well over the next week and Bruce improves.
    I know, I feel so fortunate to have found a vet that I trust with my Bruce. Thank you so much for you positive feedback.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Kisa..Im so pleased Bruce is doing well and has eaten (that is a really good sign). You are doing a great job. Bruce is in the best possible hands. Thank goodness you got him when you did. Keep us updated. Ive grown very fond of the little guy.
    I am too! I was very worried his appetite had gone down the toilet, but now when I feed him I can tell he is half starved (I had to put him on a diet because of his weight, which I fear could impair his ability to heal). Thank you so much for saying that, it makes me feel much better knowing that even people who don't know me personally can tell I'm trying very hard to make him better. I would hate to have brought an animal into a place where he got sick and was in pain, I just hope he's happy, even through his illness.

It's so nice to hear you say you're fond of him! He's grown accustomed to us (me and my boyfriend, and friends who have helped me with his recovery), he no longer fusses when we take him out of the cage for his medicine, and will even settle into my palm when I hold him. He needs all the support he can get, even if it's from far away!

<3

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry it's been a few days since I've updated you guys, but I've had my hands full these past few days.

Bruce's condition has improved since he received the injection and I have started the leg soak. His legions are healing quite quickly, the skin is even starting to grow over them and they are no longer bloody or irritated.

On the down side, his eyesight has not improved and the cloudiness has not retreated. He possesses his usual voracious appetite, but has a hard time seeing the crickets and mealworms (I bought him the worms as a treat for being so good, and from the want to vary his diet more, but I'm afraid they're too small and too stationary for him to see them ) Presently I am feeding him 2 crickets and 1 mealworm every other night, and watching him until he eats each one (I feed him one insect at a time) to monitor his eyesight and appetite.

I've made a followup appointment with Dr. De La Torre (a wonderful herp vet, as I said before) for monday, so hopefully she'll give me some good news and a possible new treatment for the eyes.

Thanks for reading guys! I'll have an update from the vet soon.

Leefrogs

Does sound a little better. Chin up kisa, you've done good

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    Does sound a little better. Chin up kisa, you've done good
    Thank you so much Lee, I'm trying to keep my hopes up!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I brought Bruce home from the doctor with a seemingly clean bill of health!

She was happy to hear that the wounds on his leg had closed up entirely without a trace (not even scars! They were so deep I thought he'd at least have little marks, but the skin has healed up almost perfectly) and that he was still eating and active. She took him out of his carrier to check on him and he tried to wriggle free just as always, which is good, and he lost another 5 grams! So he's getting back to a regular WTF weight and moving out of the range of obesity. I still wanna keep him a little plump, so once I feel like he starts getting down to 60 grams (now he's 66), I'll feed him more regularly.

One of his eyes still hasn't cleared up though, she said that the first cloudy eye was gone now, but the one that developed afterward was still there. She told me that it should have disappeared with the drops by now, but it hasn't so it might be there to stay. There are several possibilities: I brought up the fact that I've searched around online and read that it could be a vitamin deficeincy, even though I gut-load my crickets and make sure they're nice and plump and full of nutrition for Brucey, so I bought some stuff called Avitron that they usually use on birds, but I checked the ingredients and it's just a bunch of vitamins, so I'm sure they can't hurt, though I have been careful and am using them in moderation just in case. The other option is that he was simply born with a congenital defect in his cornea and that he had the cloudiness at petsmart and they never saw it, and I never looked for it cuz I thought he was healthy (they tricked me I guess...>>). So either way, as long as he's still eating and still strong enough to move around, I'm a happy camper!

Thank you all so much for your support and good wishes, it all really helped me through the hard times of Bruce's illness. I'm going to watch him closely for another week or so and leave him in the viv he's in, just to be extra sure that all traces of the infection are gone and it's safe to move him into his brand new home.

My friend helped me buy Bruce a brand new Exo Terra 18x18x24 limited edition cameroon setup! I'm so happy for him, it's just what he needs after this long hard sickness. He'll be living in the lap of luxury once I'm sure he's well. I'll posted pictures in my album over the next few days in case anyone is interested in what it's gonna look like.

But again, thank you to everyone who replied and kept me going through this, parts of it were really scary. I've grown so attached to Bruce I don't know what I would've done if he had...you know.

<3333333 to all.

clownonfire

That's great news, Kisa.
    And I must add that Bruce Campbell is a great name!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    That's great news, Kisa.
    And I must add that Bruce Campbell is a great name!!
    OMg this is the first time anyone has made a comment about his name! I'm so excited!

I just love the Evil Dead movies, what can I say? Ash is his middle name. XD

Thank you for reading!

13. This member thanks Kisa for this post:

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    OMg this is the first time anyone has made a comment about his name! I'm so excited!

I just love the Evil Dead movies, what can I say? Ash is his middle name. XD

Thank you for reading!
    Bruce Campbell/Ash: Best one-liners.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Bruce Campbell/Ash: Best one-liners.
    Haha you got that right! Sometimes I look at Bruce (the frog version) and imagine he's saying, "Hail to the king baby." Hilarious. XD

I even watch that show on USA called Burn Notice because of him. Ever heard of it?

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    Haha you got that right! Sometimes I look at Bruce (the frog version) and imagine he's saying, "Hail to the king baby." Hilarious. XD

I even watch that show on USA called Burn Notice because of him. Ever heard of it?
    Can't say I did... I just googled it and it doesn't seem to be playing in Montreal/Canada... BubbaHo-Tep was a blast... (i'm sure peeps receiving notifications about this thread right now are thrilled about the subject turn)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Can't say I did... I just googled it and it doesn't seem to be playing in Montreal/Canada... BubbaHo-Tep was a blast... (i'm sure peeps receiving notifications about this thread right now are thrilled about the subject turn)
    Aw, that's unfortunate. It's a show about spies. >>

Just got that, the network's called "USA"...oops. XD

Haha they're probably rolling their eyes. But I was just so excited someone knew what I was talking about I couldn't help myself! One girl at the vet called him "Mr. Campbell" but I'm not sure if she /really/ new, you know? I find more and more people are avoiding cult classics these days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information