Thread: Introduced new firebelly toad - did not go so well...need some advice.

sojourner

Unhappy Introduced new firebelly toad - did not go so well...need some advice.

My firebelly toad has 4 days by itself...nice set up. We got it a "friend" this friend turned up to be a female. "Jack" barks at her all day, and pounces on her every time she moves....so "Elizabeth" found a corner and has been there for two days - not coming out....Jack found him a spot in the water facing (staring) at her corner and hasnt moved - what can we do?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Introduced new firebelly toad - did not go so well...need some advice.

well your question has been there for a while and that irritates me. By no means do I know what I'm talking about, nor do I have this frog. But I fell pitty, for u and the frogs. Maybe try to move things around in the cage so he cant stare at her. With no idea of your setup I don't know how to be precise. Maybe give her her own runway to the water, and something that blocks his view if she's in water too. I dono what else to say.

4. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

sojourner

Default Re: Introduced new firebelly toad - did not go so well...need some advice.

Thank you for your reply. I will try to move things around a bit. I just feel so bad for her. My tank is 1/3 land 2/3 water...most water in the middle (like a lagoon) with moss, plants and slate rocks built up around and a small soft flowing water fall in back that falls into lagoon area....

Thanks again.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I dont know much about this frog BUT is how old are they? Sound to me like Jack wants to mate with Elizabeth, and obviously because Elizabeth wants to settle in her new home its taken abit of a shock to her. Just a possibility, when i got my African Clawed Frog a female friend more or less seconds she was in the tank they began mating. Elizabeth might become settled over time. There will probably be someone on here with exact knowledge and better advice, just thought id try and help

s6t6nic6l

can you put pics up of setup and dimensions. the land/water ratio should be the other way round to benefit them (imo). would'nt worry too much about the "love affair", be the same if you had males only too . will all settle down soon. but if you can provide more info the better.

s6t6nic6l

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    well your question has been there for a while and that irritates me. By no means do I know what I'm talking about, nor do I have this frog. But I fell pitty, for u and the frogs. Maybe try to move things around in the cage so he cant stare at her. With no idea of your setup I don't know how to be precise. Maybe give her her own runway to the water, and something that blocks his view if she's in water too. I dono what else to say.
    esp' with it being such an active forum

Leefrogs

Sorry if this irritated u dude. But I know what it's like to not have questions answered and your like freaking out. This was viewed a bunch off times before I said anything and I assume it was him checking back to see if if was answered. I was concerned because she hadn't moved in 2days before he even posted. Sometimes even a kind word and concern help take the edge off. Humanitarian I am I reach out because I figure it's. Holiday it could be a while.

Julia

If the tank is large enough you could try adding another female or two. Jack would split his attention between the ladies and therefore cause less stress on the single female.

If adding more frogs to the tank is not an option you could split them up in separate enclosures.

Keep in mind that new frogs should always be quarantined before placed in the enclosure with your pets.

Good luck!

Jace

Nicely written, Julia!

I have kept FBTs for almost 10 years and try to keep a minimum of 3. Regardless of males or females, three keeps them distracted from each other so that one toad seldom seems to get lots of unwanted atttention. At one point, I had 1 female and 2 males, and the males would give each other as much attention as they would the female. Boys of this species really aren't too picky!!

Like Julia wrote, if adding another toad is not an option, either remove one and set up another enclosure, or add more plants and hiding spots to your main tank and make sure both are eating enough. Over time, it should work out. Best of luck.

KayIS

Know you what else works? Don't buy males. Females have very little webbing between their toes, males have a lot of webbing. We have both together, and one guy is very annoying to everyone else in the tank. We have lots of hiding places, and actually, they are not stupid - we yell at the troublemaker and open the lid, so we can separate him from his victim, and now he understands that if the yelling starts, he'll be unceremoniously pulled off and put in an isolation cell for a few minutes, so he lets go and hides in the plants when he hears yelling and sees us coming.

Thread Information