Thread: Pixie feeding problem

jaguilar15

Default Pixie feeding problem

Okay well i have four babies. I have two frogs that are very aggressive in eating, while my other two are not so much aggressive..Does anyone have any idea why they do not eat as much? I'm feeding them Crickets. My two that aren't very aggressive only eat superworms, nothing else.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Roman

Default Re: Pixie feeding problem

Are you feeding them separately or together?
    The two big ones could be bullying the smaller ones... I've seen it happen with food and chill spots. Big one seems to push out little one or, not let it eat much. You have to remove them at that point cuz, they dont play well with others. Thats if they are together of course.
    Id say if they are eating when offered and, crapping it all out smoothly, its not a big deal. But, I'm just speculating...

Kevin1

Do you keep all these frogs together? Superworms are pyxie's FAVORITE. I know of a few frogs, my own included that have gotten stuck on superworms. They get picky. The two that aren't eating could be female, or like I said stuck on superworms.

jaguilar15

I have two separate and two together. The two together do not attack the cricket. The two that are solitary eat very efficiently. One of them skips a day of eating which i'm assuming is not a problem. The two together rarely eat the crickets, but they always go for the superworms. What do you suggest i do with the picky frogs. The times they eat the crickets is if it's in the water as if it's too lazy to try to catch them on land. Is it normal if i feed them crickets everyday? or should I skip some days?

Kevin1

I would try housing them seperately and see what happens.

Eel Noob

With the high feeding drive of young pyxies I would recommend housing them separately.

jaguilar15

I have had them in separate tanks, they still were not eating at that time. only superworms.

Eel Noob

Quote Originally Posted by jaguilar15 View Post
    I have had them in separate tanks, they still were not eating at that time. only superworms.
    Do hope you separate them though.

Like stated above some frogs just don't feed as well as others. And I do remember female pyxies don't feed as much and often.

It is best to get them off superworms now than try to later on down the road. What size crickets are you using? Personally I would just starve them for a week or two and try crickets again.

jaguilar15

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    Do hope you separate them though.

Like stated above some frogs just don't feed as well as others. And I do remember female pyxies don't feed as much and often.

It is best to get them off superworms now than try to later on down the road. What size crickets are you using? Personally I would just starve them for a week or two and try crickets again.
    Yes i'm going to get them off superworms asap, I'm just going to starve them a couple of days and then start throwing crickets in there again. And yes i should separate them soon. It's just the ones that were separate and are together now still didn't eat well when they were separate. So i was was thinking it was something more than the separation issue

Nationality
    [United States]

I had a similar problem when my Pixie frog was small until I found the trick. Mine would eat one or two Dubai Roach's or Crickets and that was it. I started putting my Pixie frog in his eating bin with about 10 to 15 Dubai Roach's or Crickets and putting the cover on it and putting him on a semi dark shelf in my pet room and then coming back in about ten or fifteen minutes and all insects were gone. That's the only way I feed mine now and he does eat like a pig. He is a private eater, or a shy eater.

Nationality
    [Canada]

When replying to a thread you may want to check the date of the last response to the thread or when the thread was started. This thread was posted and the last response was in 2010.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    When replying to a thread you may want to check the date of the last response to the thread or when the thread was started. This thread was posted and the last response was in 2010.
    Thanks I'm new here and didn't even see the date.

Thread Information