Thread: Kind of new?

Mrkrabs

Default Kind of new?

Awhile back - sometime in may '09, I joined asking questions about a tree frog. he passed away shortly after, and I didn't see a point in returning to the forum. well, I was at a mall today and I fell in love with the Pacman and Tomato frogs. I didn't pick one up, being hours away from home and not knowing anything about the frogs. however, I want to get a frog again! I have forgotten how much I enjoy Reptile/amphibian animals (Got a Skink a few months ago.. loving her)
    So a quick bit about myself;
    I am a crazy female-canadian gamer. I love animals, and .. video games. LOL. I also love cooking, and.. yes! thats about it haha.

I am in no rush to find a frog, but I do need a bit of help from ya'll. I'd like just one frog, unless I get a fire-belly newt/toad set up, which I am considering, and i'd like to be able to handle it. I know you can't handle many frogs, but I'd like to try and find one that I can. I have been searching the internet for about 5 hours now.. have only come across a few articles with a good list of frogs you can own, but i can't find it again!
    So any suggestions for frogs that you can hold and are relatively active? I am looking at Pacman frogs, but I have heard they are pretty lazy. (I don't mind being bit, Getting pinched by crabs have sort of numbed my hands over the years. LOL)
    hopefully posted this all in the right area, please do not get mad if I didn't. xD

woppa

Default Re: Kind of new?

Pacman frogs are very lazy. Infact the one i've seen alot stays in the same place all day. A good choice would be a whites. I absolutely love mine. She lets me handle her all the time. They are easy to take care of but they get kind of large and require quite a bit of space. On the other hand an adult pacman only requires a 10 gallon tank from my understanding. Another option is a red eye tree frog but they are not very easy to take care. Try looking around in your local pet stores to see what they have available then do research on the ones you think that you would like best out of the ones in the pet store. I hope this advice will help in some way.

bshmerlie

Firebelly toads are very active and they'll let you handle them. They are also inexpensive and easy to care for.

Mrkrabs

I'm beginning to look at whites, they look sooo cute. but I am un-sure if i can get the space for the tank, so I might just have to wait a bit to get a frog.
    But I was wondering, is there anyway to set up a community tank with another type of species? I've been talking to someone who keeps lots of animals, and he said it'd be possible to set up a tank with a Crested gecko, some fire newts, and fire belly toads. I was wondering if the frogs would do OK though?
    I was also wondering if it'd be possible to set up a tank with a turtles & frogs, but I'm wonder if the frogs would be harmed in anyway?

Thread Information