Thread: Do you think this would work?

Animalnstinct

Default Do you think this would work?

I had to run to vegas this weekend and while I was there I did some shopping for my mantella vivarium I am building.

We'll i found this adorable plant at home depot and couldn't resist buying it in hopes of using it. However, the darn thing does say it can reach 4 - 6 feet in height ( hehe ). The label says it's a Aralia Fabian Polyscias but when I looked it up It looks nothing like what home depo says it is and I did find one that looked the same, Aralia MING stump.

I asked when I was at home depot about the possibility of using it in a terrarium and keeping it small and the guy said it was possible if I prune it. We'll to be honest when it comes to plants I don't know squat so I just went with it and got it in hopes that I could figure out something.

One thing that was mentioned is keeping the roots from going wild so I was wondering If you think it would be ok to actually build my false bottom around the actual pot of the plant and just keeping it planted in the pot? I know of a few ways I think I could make it work and that would allow me to be able to pull the plant out of the pot if needed.

Do you think that should work? Also, I don't mind the extra work of trying to keep it small I was just wondering if there is anything else I should keep in mind?

If it all fails, I guess I have a cool looking house plant.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Do you think this would work?

From what I read, Aralia MING can be keep small like a Bonsai and and will become pretty full to sculpture and shape as it grows. Some versions took up to 10 years to grow 12 inches.

Never know. Its worth a try as long and you don't prune a frog while trimming

Animalnstinct

Default Re: Do you think this would work?

"Never know. Its worth a try as long and you don't prune a frog while trimming"

I actually thought of that the other day and got a little panicky, but then I calmed down and realized If I was to mess up to the point of pruning a frog on accident then I probably shouldn't be keeping frogs at all. lolThanks for the reply, I really appreciate it and it made me feel more comfortable with giving it a try. I started on my false bottom last night and I incorporated a spot in it for the plant. I'm hoping to start on the background today. I'm going to be using great stuff for the first time and trying to run a water fall over it, so this should be fun or a bundle of nerves for me today.

Thread Information