Thread: Making your own lid?

FrogFarm

Default Making your own lid?

Hey just wondering if any of you have experience making a DIY lid for your tank.
    I'm picking up a 30 gallon and I don't want to fork out a lot $ when I could just as easily make one.

What would you guys recommend?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Making your own lid?

One of my first home-built setups is the 75 gallon vert. that houses my R.amazonica. I built it from acrylic and at the time I didn't know that high humidity warps acrylic, even though it is 1/2" the top warped. So I would say "not acrylic".

Nationality
    [United States]

If you can just as easily make one and it won't cost as much money then by all means make one. As long as it does the job.
    Steve Schindler

FrogFarm

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Rust View Post
    One of my first home-built setups is the 75 gallon vert. that houses my R.amazonica. I built it from acrylic and at the time I didn't know that high humidity warps acrylic, even though it is 1/2" the top warped. So I would say "not acrylic".

Haha thanks for the tip.

I'm thinking Plexiglas.

Animalnstinct

Quote Originally Posted by FrogFarm View Post
    Haha thanks for the tip.

I'm thinking Plexiglas.
    You could always cut a sheet of glass. Plexiglass actually usually warps quicker then acrylic a lot of the times. Also, Ive talked to others who have tried lexan and they claim that it took years till it started warping if you are unsure of working with glass. ( glass makes me nervous, lol )

FrogFarm

That's my issue with glass, always afraid it will get knocked down.

It's mainly to keep the cats out, someone suggested using chloroplast and replacing it when it gets wrecked, cheap and simple. I might try that......

I've made two lids. One out of eggcrate (the plastic stuff commonly used for false bottoms, oh and lighting fixtures too) lined with fiberglass screen. The eggcrate to support a cat or two, the fiberglass screening to keep bugs and small frogs in as well as car hair out (which sticks to frogs for a sad sight).

My other home made lid is made out of a sheet of aluminium, 1/8" think I believe, that has small holes all over it (it came that way). I have no idea where this is from, some friends had a giant roll lying around that someone had given them. Same requirements, keep cats out, frogs in, and provide lots of ventilation for a treefrog.

Both my versions are visible in my album, but nothing specifically of the lids:

Frog Forum - UncleChester's Album: Vivariums

FrogFarm

good idea, that sheet metal lid looks awesome!

Digital

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    My other home made lid is made out of a sheet of aluminium, 1/8" think I believe, that has small holes all over it (it came that way). I have no idea where this is from, some friends had a giant roll lying around that someone had given them.
    The Sheet Metal Your talking about is the same one's I use to build car grill's with for people. I don't know if this is the cheapest place to buy some online, but it will give you the idea of what I'm talking about.

A lot of these will work, but not sure if it's worth the price for what you need them for. But it's might be worth the time to check them out. These are actual piece of Sheet Metal you will need to cut to fit the tank.

Welcome to customcargrills.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    The Sheet Metal Your talking about is the same one's I use to build car grill's with for people. I don't know if this is the cheapest place to buy some online, but it will give you the idea of what I'm talking about.

A lot of these will work, but not sure if it's worth the price for what you need them for. But it's might be worth the time to check them out. These are actual piece of Sheet Metal you will need to cut to fit the tank.

Welcome to customcargrills.com
    That's awesome! Larger sizes for lids gets costly, but they have 'scrap' pieces that are long but narrow that are pretty cheap that would work great for vents. Like a 4"x48" small perf silver for $4.80 + shipping (which is reasonable in the States). Fiberglass screen is cheaper, more available, and probably gives more ventilation per area, but doesn't look nearly as sharp (imo) and is less cat resistant.

I'm pretty much set up with a free supply for life, but I'm sure someone will find your source very handy

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm a big fan of glass. If you're worried about cats, then get something at least 3/16" thick.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information