I reside in southwestern Pennsylvania and have a 300 gallon concrete stock tank in my yard to which the water flow has terminated due to a leak. Prior to this, frogs and tadpoles successfully wintered over in it under the debris in the bottom. This year, I installed a 1500 watt submersible water heater which I placed on a standoff 6 inches off the bottom of the tank. When the water is at the top of the overflow pipe, the tank is a total of 2 foot deep. My question is this: Since the water is warm and the tadpoles are quite active, will it be necessary to feed them until spring arrives and if so, what type of food would be appropriate?

As a side note, I try to reserve the tank for Grey Treefrogs and try to remove the migrant Bull Frogs, Green Frogs, Leopard Frogs and Toads to other suitable habitats prior to them breeding. This was the first year I was caught offguard by the Green Frogs. With the water lilies and all the other plants in the tank, it's impossible to catch all of them.

Two years ago, I had a wild Green Frog take up residence in the tank which I named Ziggy due to a unique zig-zag pattern on it's head which became so tame due to feeding it insects that it would let you scratch its chin and tolerate being removed from the water in a cupped hand!