Thread: Any Plant Experts?

peeka

Default Any Plant Experts?

HI guys,

I got my shipment from black jungle yesterday and I'm very happy with the plants I got, but in the back of my mind I feel sorry for them because I don't really have a good track record with plants

My problem is I never know what they need, when and how much. What are the signs that a plant needs more water? what are the signs that a plant needs more light? How will I know if it needs more nutrients? I know what an unhappy plant looks like but I never know what to do to fix it, so I usually just drown them in water and then replace them with a silk plant 2 weeks later. I want this time to be different

Any advice on what to look out for?

Thanks
    Ally

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Any Plant Experts?

Over watering might be your problem. I actually don't water mine a whole lot. You definately have to have a drainage layer at the bottom. I use leca (the small clay balls) but some people use gravel...same idea. You will also need full spectrum lighting. I use the repti 2.0 but John just mentioned you can get the same quality Bulbs at a hardware store for less. Do a 12 hour photo cycle. Only water enough to keep the soil moist ...not soaking. Again like I said I don't water very often ...just push a finger into the soil...if it feels dry add some water just to moisten it up. Don't flood them. If you're seeing new growth you're doing well. If you have some water in the leca the roots do find their way down there for water. My experience with watering is "less is best" . You can always add water if they're looking dry and they'll perk right up. But if you're flooding them they'll start to look saggy and start loosing leaves which makes you think they need watear so you add more then poof they're dead.

4. 2 members thank bshmerlie for this post:

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Solid advice there Cheri.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

peeka

Thanks for the great advice as always Cheri. Do you happen to know the signs that a plant may not be getting enough light? I have cut back on the watering.

Ally

ssearlyboy

Hello, you can tell if a plant is not getting enough light, when they start looking spindly and weak and grow towards the light source, also may lose colour and look paler.

Thread Information