Thread: Bloated pacman

volcom19961995

Default Bloated pacman

My Pacman frog has been sitting in his water all bloated. I keep his temps at 80-85, I feed him 1/2 inch crickets, he is 1 1/2 inches long and when bloated he is 2 inches long. I keep him in a 10 gallon tank with Eco-earth loose coconut fiber substrate, a heat pad and a shallow dish of fresh declorinated water. He hasn't pooped in 2 days. I just lost one of my Pacman frogs so every little thing gets me worried.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Digital

Default Re: Bloated pacman

My guy ate a lot when I got him. Like 4 large night crawlers and 3 super worms. In the first 6 days I had him. But my male is full grown and 2 years old now. I adopted him. I gave him a nice warm soaking in the sink. In like 10 minutes he went to the bathroom, but I notice he wont go right away after feeding. It takes him 2-4 days to make him go. He will go pee each day, but pooping takes him a couple days. Also make sure to use a water conditioner, unless your using bottle water each time. I seen what regular tap water can do to animals. My girlfriend forgot to add it to my fish containers and in a hour all my fish where dead. It was $300 worth of fish. So I don't take any chances not treating the water with any animal. Even my dogs get bottle water.

parisianfox

Hi, i had a bloated African bullfrog. He did not bloat up over a couple days but slowly filled with fluids over a month or so. Took him to the Vet and treated him for bacterial septicemia, he had to go through medicine shots every night and drainings - eventually the fluid would fill up quicker each time after draining. Turned out in the end after hundreds in vet bills he had kidney failure - from what?, I have no clue since I baby and pamper my frogs... If he stays bloated I would suggest you take him to the vet - you can never be too safe. here is a pic of my frog that passed away at the fullest of his bloating. =-(
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Digital

I know kidney failure in humans is from poisoning the kidney's. Usually caused from alcohol abuse or eating non healthy foods, other things as well. But what I'm trying to say is, I wonder if a frog can get kidney failure from eating non healthy foods. Or it can come from inbreeding of frogs. When I was breeding fish, you would have to cross new blood into the line, but in order to keep what you ready worked on for so long. You would breed the father to the daughter and then the father to the grand daughter. Also do the same with the female. Then eventually take the one of the babies of the 6 spawn and breed it with the female side. Then start the process all over again. I don't know if this works with reptiles, but I know if you keep inbreeding with any animal, your just going end up with sick animals. Also most people who breed animals are in it for the profit and don't really care if the one you buy is sick or not. So it could be a lot of thing's for causing the kidney failure to happen.

Thread Information