Thread: Reptisand

TANK

Default Reptisand

Hello i just made a new tank for my bufo alvarius and i was wondering if the natural reptisand was safe to use as a substrate for him.
    Will it cause impaction, irritation or any cause of concern for me?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

TANK

Default Re: Reptisand

hmm no one?
    http://images.buzzillions.com/images...670415_175.jpg
    this is the sand im using. it says its made from quartz..

Eel Noob

Sorry no experience using that product.

My American toads are currently kept on top soil substrate but I'm thinking about doing a 50/50 mix with it with play sands from Home Depot.

Greg M

I use Eco-earth myself. I would be somewhat concerned about the toad ingesting the sand. Plus sand really seems to stick to amphibians. Just my opinion, though!

Wormwood

I would not use that type of sand for a frog or non-desert dwelling toad (spadefoot).

Those fine particles can get into their eyes since toads tend to dig themselves fully under the substrate, it can also get into their air ways since they breath while under substrate.

If you do go with sand, I'd suggest 50% play sand with a 50% mix of that coconut block substrate, damp enough where it clumps in your hand. Play sand tends to be of a larger grade and from my experience raising toads since a child has never caused them any issues even when fully submerged.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Reptisand is actually not even healthy for reptiles. The calcium carbonate in it is more likely to cause blockages than regular sands. It's kind of a hot-topic, right now, and many reptile hobbyists don't even know why they still make it (except that people keep buying it). This thread has a partial explanation of the dangers of reptisand: http://www.reptileforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=51112

It sounds like Wormwood has you headed in the right direction.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by adawinters View Post
    Reptisand is actually not even healthy for reptiles. The calcium carbonate in it is more likely to cause blockages than regular sands. It's kind of a hot-topic, right now, and many reptile hobbyists don't even know why they still make it (except that people keep buying it). This thread has a partial explanation of the dangers of reptisand: http://www.reptileforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=51112

It sounds like Wormwood has you headed in the right direction.
    Repti-sand is a natural quartz sand, not calcium carbonate.

Wormwood

In any case I'd be worried about the fine particles in their eyes and lungs, not so much for being ingested. They should pass pretty easily.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Thank you for the correction, Tony. I get fuzzy on the details if I type before I think sometimes.

Tofuman

I avoid reptisand like a plague after a bunch of my leopard geckos got inpacted from it.

TANK

thanks for the advice everyone.
    my toad seems to be much happier burrowing into some eco-earth after a nice big meal of 1 pinky and a dozen crickets

Thread Information