Thread: Night jumper, won't stop

onedge30

Default Night jumper, won't stop

Hi,

One of the new females that I just received will not calm down at night. She will just constantly for hours. I check on her and she has torn her cage to bits. Coco fiber all over the walls and no water left in the dish. I did add a log section for her to hide under, and this seemed to help for one night. I have never had a pixie that was this hyper. During the day she is calm. Now, she is almost blind in one eye, and this may have some affect on the spastic behavior after dark. I am most concerned that she will injure herself and she does make a lot of noise smacking into the 10 gallon plastic cover.

Any thoughts? Froggy valium? Dip roaches in milk before bed?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

jjmorton13

Default Re: Night jumper, won't stop

Given her activity level, a good start may be a larger enclosure, both longer and taller. A 10 gallon is pretty small for any animal that is regularly this active.

deeper soil and maybe warm water poured in to the soil at night check the temp
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

Kevin1

How is she doin'? I don't mean to alarm you, but her restlessness could be a sign of improper cage conditions. She's probably fine maybe just trying to forage in the night but I just wanted to bring that to your attention just in case you've noticed some weird signs. Trying to hop out or flipping when jumping could be signs.

onedge30

Hey Kevin,

She is calming down. She seems 'unique' in her behavior. She is very 'active' all the time. In a cage or out. She is almost blind in one eye, so she is more 'jumpy' and 'skittish' at any movement around her. She seems more 'fit' than the other frogs. And I have no idea what her environment was like where she came from.

I am keeping an eye on her and have not notice anything really out of the norm. She is not flipping over or having balance issues. She does jump straight. She is eating a normal amount. Time may tell.

maybe "excerise" her before she goes to sleep. Thats wat i do to my dog. maybe even try "racing all your frogs!" no seriously that could be cool

Kevin1

Good to know Jeff, I'm glad she's all right.

onedge30

Racing the frogs!! LOL I could just see some of the looks they would give me. "You want us to jump! Not a chance bozo! We are big and 'stocky', and we STROLL!!!". LOL

My first thought of nightly exercise was building a little bitty treadmill!!!! LOL Maybe out of popsicle sticks and a little thin rubber mat with a small adjustable motor!!! LMAOROTF

Maybe hanging a dusted roach as the incentive to keep moving forward...... LOL

hey i used to do it with american bulls a little exercise wont hurt

onedge30

Well, she is still jumping. I moved her to a big cardboard box with hide box and no soil and high sides - still jumping. Constantly.

Again, nothing noticeably wrong with her 'physically'. To me, it is almost like she is acting like she is WC.

Suggestions?

Warmer tank, does not appear to solve the problem.
    Deeper soil, no change. Doesn't seem to want to dig.
    Warmer water at lights out, seem to hold off the jumping for about an hour.
    When the lights are on, there is no jumping. But only full light. Not light from a night light.

Kevin1

Is there a chance the temps could be a little high?

onedge30

Right now it is really cold, down here. The house stays between 69-76. Which I think would be on the cold side for the frogs. The heat pad is just barely noticeable to the touch. When I touch the bare bottom of the tank.

Pyxicephalus Adspersus

i had the same problem with my young male. i covered all of the sides of the glass ten gallon on the outside with pieces of paper so he couldnt see out and now hes calm. its worth a try...

15. This member thanks Pyxicephalus Adspersus for this post:

onedge30

She has calmed down. Must have just been new surrounding and a new tank. She is eating and digging in the dirt.

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by Pyxicephalus Adspersus View Post
    i had the same problem with my young male. i covered all of the sides of the glass ten gallon on the outside with pieces of paper so he couldnt see out and now hes calm. its worth a try...
    Ahh very good point. I forgot I did this with Chubbz when he was young. He'd keep me up at night so I covered him completely.

Thread Information