Thread: Separating your pyxies...

MayorNewton

Default Separating your pyxies...

From all I've read...primarily on these frog forums...it is highly suggested that one keeps their pyxies separated from each other. Fighting, I guess, or downright cannibalism...if one frog is considerably larger than the other...being the major reason to do so.

To that end, I fixed the tank I have for my two males...Buffalo Chip and Cow Pie...so that it's divided in half by their two water tanks. In theory, this works great. In reality, my boys really want to hang together...and most mornings I get up to find them both on one side or the other. I know I can build things up better so that there is no way either can get through the divider, but so far no damage done and they seem to really like being together.

They are close to the same size, so no worries about one eating the other...and so far no signs of antagonism/fighting. Anyone else keep their pyxies together? I'm tempted to just take the divider out and let them be...at least as long as there seems to be no problems between them. Any thoughts?

Mayor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Octopus

Default Re: Separating your pyxies...

Hi
    I don't have experience with A.Bullfrogs, but as large anurans and hunters of live prey movement I would suggest keeping them separate as a good practice.

I can only see advantages to that; if they defecate at same time in the water dish you will have twice the crapp in the water than it will be bad very quick, when they go for food even if the one is given with forceps they can try both at the same time and get hurt Involuntary .(any injury could be a start for a infection) they could like the same spot to borrow and together one will have to choose another place.
    I think they will more comfortable and with less stress even more happy if you could give them separate homes with equal quality (separate heating sources, different water dish, different targets that can be watch and hunt without competition)
    I always think that different enclosures are backups, if something goes wrong you can still have a copy

Octopus

Hi again take a look at this dude terrariums with many Pyxies kept together ... cool videos

http://ca.youtube.com/user/phazeekus

freves

Regarding that video. I cannot stand to see animals exploited for entertainment. There is way too much of that **** on some of the tarantula/invertebrate forums. I certainly hope that people do not start posting similar links on this site.
    Chip

Octopus

Hi Freves

Hi think all the links are welcome, than discussion can be made.
    I certainly link obese,seek or even injured frogs made by live rodents to show what no to do.
    In my opinion images/videos of bad and good things can show best to everybody to choose well.

freves

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
    Hi Freves

Hi think all the links are welcome, than discussion can be made.
    I certainly link obese,seek or even injured frogs made by live rodents to show what no to do.
    In my opinion images/videos of bad and good things can show best to everybody to choose well.
    I am by no means trying to start a raging debate. It is easy to fall into arguing over the intelligence level of various prey items, being anthropomorhic, and so on. Again I have seen too much of this on other forums. If the mice (preferrably dead) were fed to the frogs via forceps I would have no problem with the video. The clip just seems to be more for entertainment value than anything else and that is what I have a problem with. Anyway, I apologize for hijacking this thread.
    Chip

Octopus

ok Freves i do agree with you about the entertainment content of the video, but the first purpose to me was showing some pyxies together in the same terrarium and in feeding time, with specimens with different sizes.
    MayorNewton question is still not answered for sure … anyone with more experience?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The general rule of thumb, like Octopus said, is to separate them. They are opportunistic predators who will try to eat nearly anything, even if it is physically impossible. That isn't to say that they can't be kept together, but typically it would only be for short periods of time for things like breeding. The other benefit of separation is that when together, they produce twice as much waste as if they were separate, so you have to really clean quite often. That being said, it really is up to you. If they're the same size, are fed regularly, and the cage is cleaned often, you may be ok.

Alex

Thread Information