Thread: Grey Tree Frog.

Wolst21LT

Default Grey Tree Frog.

Okay. so i have a pair of green tree frogs. i had a ten gallon free so i cleaned it out and all that good stuff and went out and bought a grey tree frog. i was ready to put him into his new home, when it turns out my brother had given it to his friend for a fish tank. so i decided to put him in my green tree frog tank. they are in a 15 gallon. they were getting along just fine. he was in there for about a month before i finally got the 10 gal back. so i put him in the ten gallon and he doesnt seem to like it that much. the whole time he sits in one of the top corners, and every time i put crickets in, he tries to jump out. he never did that with the green tree frogs. the temp is around 80, humidity is currently 70 on the dot, and its 3/4s land 1/4 water. is he just having trouble settling in or what? what should i do?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Grey Tree Frog.

He was accustomed to his old home and now it's different. He needs cover and perches and time. Also, the new home is smaller and this is a big factor with treefrogs.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Wolst21LT

well i kind of figured all that but do you think i should give him a bigger enclosure

Nationality
    [Ireland]

10 is a little small - how high is it?

Wolst21LT

1 foot

Nationality
    [Ireland]

For a tree frog you want taller than it is wide or deep. I would say 1.5 feet is the very minimum.

Wolst21LT

ok thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

I haven't tried it yet, myself, but I've read of people propping 10 gallons up on their side to get a taller enclosure out of the same tank. You might have to build your own lid, or modify the current one as the original top would no longer be efficient, and I'd be careful of heavy decorations, as the frame isn't constructed to support weight on its side, but it could work if you don't have a taller tank handy at the moment.

into

or you could do what I did. purchase another 10gal. (cheap), remove the bottom glass (keep the plastic base and glue it back together if you broke it like I did) and stack it on top of the other 10 gal. tank. If you do this, make sure you glue the base of the top tank to the top of the bottom tank, then the top is secure and you can simply lift it off for cleaning. This worked great for my WTF since he no longer spends time pacing back and forth along the top of the tank... now he explores along the branches and perches I built for him and never climbs on the glass. I'm thinking about doing this for my green tree frogs this weekend.

Kurt

They do make a twenty-high that has the same width and length as a ten-gallon tank, but is twice as tall. In other words, it like two ten-gallons stacked up on top of each other.

into

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    In other words, it like two ten-gallons stacked up on top of each other.
    In my case, I already had 2 10 gal. tanks so it was a cheap solution to spend $12 on another one and stack them. Over time I'll upgrade to large Exo-terras and use these tanks as quarantine tanks for new family members.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Kurt

It actually looks better than I imagined it would.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's a fabulous solution to a height-crunch. I've actually got ~3 extra 10Gallon tanks, so maybe that's what I'll do with them. One already has a crack in the bottom, and was on its way to the garbage, anyway. Any tips for removing the bottom panel? Did you just dismantle the frame and remove the original silicone with a razor and then reseal? (Oops... I'm hijacking the thread, aren't I? You can PM me if I'm taking us off-topic.)

into

Quote Originally Posted by adawinters View Post
    Any tips for removing the bottom panel? Did you just dismantle the frame and remove the original silicone with a razor and then reseal? (Oops... I'm hijacking the thread, aren't I? You can PM me if I'm taking us off-topic.)
    I'll be brief

ummm... about that removing the bottom. I STARTED stripping the silicone from bottom piece of glass with a razor, but got impatient. I ended up purposely breaking the glass and removing the pieces. The hardest part is removing the plastic base. You have to do this with care and pry it slowly away from the glass with a screwdriver. I broke a couple corners and had to superglue them back together. next time I go this, I'll take my time.

Nationality
    [United States]

The end result was worth it, though, and it's inspiring us all to build tall tanks!

Thread Information