Thread: Sugar Gliders!

kiwibaby

Default Sugar Gliders!

Besides my red eyed tree frog, Kiwi, these two monsters are my other babies. If you've never had the opportunity to experience a sugar glider I would highly recommend it as they are extremely enjoyable animals.

Meet Skwisgaar Skwigelf and Toki Wartooth
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

xdartfrogx

Default Re: Sugar Gliders!

Oh they are SO adorable! I wish they were legal in California We can't have Sugar Gliders, Hedgehogs, Ferrets, or Axolytols legally here ........ Thanks for sharing such Cute pics!

Are yours de-scented, as I've heard it can be done. And do they really have an odor if they are not de-scented? I believe it is with the males.....

kiwibaby

Yeah its sad they are not legal there. I kind of wanted to move to Cali after college but wouldn't be able to take my little monkeys there I didn't know axolytols were illegal there was well. I've been meaning to look into those for a while. There are very cute.

Mine aren't de-scented, but they are both neutered males. Sugar gliders have a very unique smell...kind of fruity and musky but its not gross and overpowering thankfully. Also, you really only smell them when you approach the cage if you keep them clean. I hear the females also have a scent but less than the males. I also hear neutered males smell much less than if they are not neutered. Mine don't smell too much really.

The best thing about sugar gliders is how much they love you if you give them the proper bonding time. Toki especially is a sweetheart and greets me everyday by climbing on to my hand and licking me.

peeka

I have two Chopper and Digger. They are lots of fun, but everytime I try to go to bed they start barking at me to come and play with them again. So no sleep for me I don't really mind I'll sleep when I'm dead hehe.

Here are my boys

Ally
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by peeka; December 2nd, 2010 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to attach the pictures ... blame the gliders.

kiwibaby

Odd, the pictures won't load. There is a large black white space there

And yes, their incessant barking can be quite bothersome if you are trying to get to sleep.I think I prefer the barking over the crabbing though! Oh its such a terrible noise! Luckily mine, don't do that too much anymore.

peeka

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibaby View Post
    Odd, the pictures won't load. There is a large black white space there

And yes, their incessant barking can be quite bothersome if you are trying to get to sleep.I think I prefer the barking over the crabbing though! Oh its such a terrible noise! Luckily mine, don't do that too much anymore.
    My Mom calls the crabbing their "Evil demon noise" It is quite scary the first time you hear it.
    The pics are showing up on my screen maybe try refreshing the page?

Ally

kiwibaby

Yeah now they are showing up! Weird I even refreshed the page before...whatever!

They are adorable! The one in pics 2 and 3 remind of my Toki!

The crabbing sound is scary the first time!! When I first heard it was a group of 6 of them, all crabbing and I almost walked out and said I didn't want them anymore haha. I didn't know they could make such a terrifying sound. Its hilarious that your mom calls the crabbing that. After my mom heard them crab she started calling them "demon monkeys." Ever since then they both crab quite loudly whenever they hear her enter the room haha! Its a shame because my mom is a wonderful animal caretaker.

peeka

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibaby View Post
    Yeah now they are showing up! Weird I even refreshed the page before...whatever!

They are adorable! The one in pics 2 and 3 remind of my Toki!

The crabbing sound is scary the first time!! When I first heard it was a group of 6 of them, all crabbing and I almost walked out and said I didn't want them anymore haha. I didn't know they could make such a terrifying sound. Its hilarious that your mom calls the crabbing that. After my mom heard them crab she started calling them "demon monkeys." Ever since then they both crab quite loudly whenever they hear her enter the room haha! Its a shame because my mom is a wonderful animal caretaker.
    Oh wow I can't imagine 6 crabbing gliders hehe, you are brave. My mom is scared of them now after hearing them crab the first couple days they were home. My boys were rescues and had been shuffled from home to home so I tried to explain to her they were just nervous. They have not crabbed since that first week but try telling her that.

Ally

kiwibaby

Yes my boys have been through a few homes as well. It seems to be a common case for gliders for some reason. My mom has a mistrust of them because when I was introducing her to one of them the glider got too brave and hopped out his pouch. We began to shout in surprise because we knew our cat was also in the living room. Fearing for his safety my mom was the first one to get a good hold on the scampering sucker and the glider gave her a big bite for her efforts and she bled pretty good from it. I tried explaining he was just very scared from being in a new place and people are suddenly shouting and grabbing, it was just self defense out of fright. She still insists they are demon monkeys and the crabbing whenever she enters the room certainly doesn't help.

She has since slightly changed her mind when I had her take care of them one weekend and she saw how nice Toki could be when he came to greet her every night during feeding time. I knew I could count on Toki-bear to turn things around!

peeka

I love the name Toki sooooo cute
    Alot of gliders are rehomed because people don't do enough research before getting them or they expect them to instantly love them like a dog or cat would.

Ally

kiwibaby

Thank you!
    Many of my friends think I should have named them by the rapper names I gave to them, Tupac Shugeur and Shug Knight hahaha! I tend to prefer Toki and Skwisgaar though as funny as the rapper names are.

Its a shame people don't do the research or give the gliders the time because if given the proper time a glider's love can be just as rewarding, if not more, than a cat's or dog's love.
    Because a dog may run to you when you call its name....but it will never FLY to you

Thread Information