Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do fire bellied toads climb?

kittiekuddles

Default Do fire bellied toads climb?

Can fire bellied toads climb and make use of tree branches?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

s6t6nic6l

Default Re: Do fire bellied toads climb?

they certainly can and certainly will. adding branches will keep them active and occupied. mine climb up the "walls" in my set-up.

kittiekuddles

oh wow cool thanks!
    because i have branches in my setup and i was afraid the crickets will hang out up there leaving the poor fire belly's down below hungry
    so they will be able to get the crickets that venture higher up?

bshmerlie

No they will not climb up branches to get crickets. They climb up the sides of the tank looking to escape but they will not venture up branches to go after crickets. Any crickets that venture up more than a few inches will be in the safety zone. I have branches and plants in my firebelly tank but it is only for looks and not for their enjoyment. They will more enjoy a large water section with floating plants and rocks to rest on. They are land based frogs who enjoy a dip in the pool. Save the trees for the tree frogs.

Tony

kittiekuddles

Well Cheri, satanic says they do and i just looked at his video and his frogs are all over the place, climbing the rock walls etc
    I looked at your tank and you dont have much for a fire belly toad to climb on at all, maybe if you did they would..so i think the proof is in the video. im not expecting super frogs ya know, just wondering if it was possible
    Your kinda against my tank period, first for the tree frogs and now for the toads...me smells jealousy

firebellied zach

It's usually out of curiosity. They always climb for my fingers when I am fooling around with the food above the tank.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by kittiekuddles View Post
    Well Cheri, satanic says they do and i just looked at his video and his frogs are all over the place, climbing the rock walls etc
    I looked at your tank and you dont have much for a fire belly toad to climb on at all, maybe if you did they would..so i think the proof is in the video. im not expecting super frogs ya know, just wondering if it was possible
    Your kinda against my tank period, first for the tree frogs and now for the toads...me smells jealousy
    You are talking about the same video that S6T6Nic61 just posted. The one where his frog is sitting at the top of the wall, much like Tony with his wedged in a corner at the top. They will do that when they are first introduced to a new tank because they are looking for an escape route. Once they settle in they will stay in the water, "mostly". By the way nice tank...S6T6nic61....terrestrial with water..you know...for toads who like water. What I don't understand is why you are building a terrestrial habitat for Arboreal frogs and an Arboreal habitat for terrestrial frogs. I suggested that you add more "trees or branches" to your tree frog habitat. Excuse me for that..you know you're right take out those extra branches you put in your tank and let your tree frogs just walk around on the ground. Then put those branches in the Firebelly tank and let them stare at them with a dumbfounded look. By the way jealousy is for young boys with Large frogs .....or small frogs in your case.

kittiekuddles

Sorry i just find you irritating and somewhat annoying
    with 220 gallons to play with its a little more awkward than a 12x12x18 enclosure

peeka

It may depend on the frog but from my research fbt benefit more from width than height. Will some climb? maybe, they are great escape artists and will climb up to see if they can get out of your tank.

I'm working on my fbt terrarium now and I'm putting my focus on giving them an adequate water section to lounge in rather than worrying on height. You won't know until you try so put some branches in to see if they enjoy it. If they use them then great, if they are not making use of them take them out and give them more room.

Ally

12. This member thanks peeka for this post:

peeka

Sorry i just find you irritating and somewhat annoying
    with 220 gallons to play with its a little more awkward than a 12x12x18 enclosure
    I have personally found Cheri to be nothing but helpful to me in my research. When you come to an open forum and ask for opinions you must expect to find some that differ from what you would prefer to hear.

Ally

kittiekuddles

Thank you Ally, which is true, if their not using it and its in the way i will take them out. I have been torn between fire belly's or tree frogs, which Cheri said to add more branches for a tree frog, i guess 4 foot of branch and drift wood wasnt enough in her opinion, so i added more from my yard, but still wasnt sure what frog i was going to end up with...some people just rub ya the wrong way you know what i mean?
    I just was curious if they can climb...that is all

Tony

My FBT tank is packed full of Pothos and they climb through it all the time. Given the chance they will use every bit of their environment, very few frogs are strictly terrestrial or strictly arboreal unless they are forced to be by their enclosure design.

peeka

Thank you Ally, which is true, if their not using it and its in the way i will take them out. I have been torn between fire belly's or tree frogs, which Cheri said to add more branches for a tree frog, i guess 4 foot of branch and drift wood wasnt enough in her opinion, so i added more from my yard, but still wasnt sure what frog i was going to end up with...some people just rub ya the wrong way you know what i mean?
    I just was curious if they can climb...that is all
    Yup I was torn between the two as well when I first joined. I ended up going with fbt because they seem like such characters!

Ally

kittiekuddles

thank you Tony, they sound fun!
    Ally i think i am leaning towards the fire bellies too
    they seam alot more active. The whites are just darling to look at, with those chubby bodies they are hard to resist!
    ahh so many frogs so little time! lol

peeka

thank you Tony, they sound fun!
    Ally i think i am leaning towards the fire bellies too
    they seam alot more active. The whites are just darling to look at, with those chubby bodies they are hard to resist!
    ahh so many frogs so little time! lol
    Uh Oh. Someone's caught the froggy bug It's very addicting!

All
    y

kittiekuddles

Quote Originally Posted by peeka View Post
    Uh Oh. Someone's caught the froggy bug It's very addicting!

All
    y
    I hope this doesnt mean more tanks all over the house

s6t6nic6l

it all comes down to the toads demeanor to be honest, first and foremost i would always go for a 50/50 land/water ratio as again some prefer to rest on the banks of the pool most of the time, some stay on land and the go for the odd dip and the you'll get some that prefer the 50/50 scenario. to the main point of branches it will be down to the toads if to climb/look/hide under it so would'nt go amiss either way as long as we are not talking a vertical placement . as for the crickets on the branches it's the same arguement. (i.ve seen 2 of mine scale a wall for one). plus they are good jumpers when the need arises to grab one from a certain height.

220 gal equates to what size dimensions in inches?
    you can use less ratio for pool area the larger the floor space will be as long as we don't go less than a 1/3. (imo)

I wonder if perhaps people have different ideas of "climb" and that may be leading to some of the tension. If you have branches that are mostly horizontal but do have a slope on them, the toads will climb those. In my tank, I have vines, and one out of the tree sometimes climb those. That same toad will climb on my waterfall decoration. The other two could care less, but do spend part of their time out of the water and on the pieces of land. The way tree frogs climb is, obviously, completely different.

I have really nice size Malaysian leaf frog, which is a terrestial frog, but when it's storming outside and the humidity in the tank is right and he is craving a female, he climbs over everything. This has made me aware that even though he's terrestial, as soon as I move into a bigger place and settle in, I'm going to get him a larger tank that is not only longer, but taller too.

And as for the frog bug....two years ago I bought my first frog and now I'm up to 8 frogs and 3 toads, and I'm getting 2 more toads soon. So that's what you have to look forward to. :P

kittiekuddles

the tank has a 72"x24" floor space
    i cant do the half water bit, but i do have a lizard pool thats about 10"x6" and 3" deep with little steps in it so they can crawl out

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information