Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do fire bellied toads climb?

Kurt

Default Re: Do fire bellied toads climb?

Quote Originally Posted by kittiekuddles View Post
    ahh so many frogs so little time! lol
    Don't you mean "So many frogs, so little room and money to keep them all?"

Oh and my fire-bellies climb all the time! They even have hiding places well above the water line.

Your tank screams dart frogs to me or perhaps something like clown, milk or hourglass treefogs (providing there is decent ventilation.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

kittiekuddles

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Don't you mean "So many frogs, so little room and money to keep them all?"

Oh and my fire-bellies climb all the time! They even have hiding places well above the water line.

they sound more and more tempting

Personally, I still think there's not enough water for the fire-bellied toads.

Darts would be cool, or some of the smaller treefrogs that Kurt mentioned. Clowns are my dream frog. It's true that treefrogs do spend quite a bit of time in the top corner, but they move around quite a bit too. White's are nocturnal, so obviously much of their time is spent sleeping during the day, but as soon as I turn off the light, they get moving. And during the day, only one of my 5 sleep in the top corner. The rest sleep in different areas.

kittiekuddles

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    Personally, I still think there's not enough water for the fire-bellied toads.

Darts would be cool, or some of the smaller treefrogs that Kurt mentioned. Clowns are my dream frog. It's true that treefrogs do spend quite a bit of time in the top corner, but they move around quite a bit too. White's are nocturnal, so obviously much of their time is spent sleeping during the day, but as soon as I turn off the light, they get moving. And during the day, only one of my 5 sleep in the top corner. The rest sleep in different areas.
    I think the water pool is big enough for four little fire belly's. A lot of care sheets said water bowls are sufficient. I did find a huge one on an online herp store, the bowl was huge, something like 18x12, i imagine it was for a large snake to soak in, so i can get that if needed.
    Thats how the tree frogs were in the store, all huddled in the corner sleeping, the fire bellys were hopping and playing, they to were in a water bowl.
    Darts are out, i dont have time to make my own fruit flies, and then i read they are prone to drowning and that scared me a bit, their just so tiny and frail i and with the tank being down the basement im not down their too much to watch over them.
    I'm still torn on whites or fire belly's, if i come across adult whites i know i will melt in my shoes, adorable!! but then the activity of the fire bellys get me too....i will get back here in about a week when i finally have inhabitants....maybe it will be a plastic toy frog? LOL

There are very large reptile bowls, true. If you do that, I wouldn't go for anything that holds less than a couple gallons. They seem to spend so much of their time in the water, and truthfully, even if you found a bowl that can hold 4 toads, do you want them to spend all their time in just one corner of the tank? I'm not sure how much use they'll make of the land area opposite the side(s) the water dish is on, but most of us haven't even seen such a large tank. I would be afraid that they would spend all their time in just one area. Maybe someone else has them in a much larger tank than I do, and can give tips on how to best make it work.

I believe it's best to have a filter in the water, rather than just have stagnent water, since they spend so much time in the water, but if you find a large bowl, there are small filters you can find that you can put in the bowl.

By the way, I'm really not trying to talk you out of FBTs, cause I love the little guys. I'm just trying to give recommendations and things-to-consider that will help as you make the decision of how to best use your tank.

Good luck on figuring it all out!

kittiekuddles

There are very large reptile bowls, true. If you do that, I wouldn't go for anything that holds less than a couple gallons. They seem to spend so much of their time in the water, and truthfully, even if you found a bowl that can hold 4 toads, do you want them to spend all their time in just one corner of the tank? I'm not sure how much use they'll make of the land area opposite the side(s) the water dish is on, but most of us haven't even seen such a large tank. I would be afraid that they would spend all their time in just one area. Maybe someone else has them in a much larger tank than I do, and can give tips on how to best make it work.

I believe it's best to have a filter in the water, rather than just have stagnent water, since they spend so much time in the water, but if you find a large bowl, there are small filters you can find that you can put in the bowl.

By the way, I'm really not trying to talk you out of FBTs, cause I love the little guys. I'm just trying to give recommendations and things-to-consider that will help as you make the decision of how to best use your tank.

Good luck on figuring it all out!
    yeah thats true, and what if they get lost in there and cant find their way back to the water bowl? i would have to keep a close eye on them the first week to make sure they know their way around, and if things dont work well then thats an excuse for another tank right? a small one just for them lol
    the bowl i would wash out daily, along with my pet rats water bowl, dog bowls, cat bowls...did i mention i have a small zoo? LOL Three dogs, five cats, rabbit, guinea pig, hairless dumbo rat, turtle, planted freshwater tank, parakeet, and the koi pond out back..and a small frog pond out back too that gets visited by the local frogs...one may ask why i even need another pet, well i have to put something in that big ole tank dont i?

Ok, I am definitely, completely, 100% behind anything that forces you to buy another tank for frogs!

I think it's cool you have a couple pets. An animal here and there doesn't hurt. :P

kittiekuddles

Ok, I am definitely, completely, 100% behind anything that forces you to buy another tank for frogs!

I think it's cool you have a couple pets. An animal here and there doesn't hurt. :P
    no but it can get stinky lol

kittiekuddles

I got frogs!!
    I bought four White's tree frogs I went to a few petshops and this place had a decent size, their still small but not that infanty small. One is pretty little though but he was the only green one in the tank, the rest were all brown, and wouldnt ya know it, as soon as they went in my tank they all turned green lol. one is still a little muddy greenish though.
    a few of the pics arent so clear, sorry about that

This ones Hardeen

Greedo, hes the littlest one

Jaba

and Chalky White, hes the muddy/green one, i had trouble with his pic because of the moisture on the glass

dachshundsr4me

aww congrats on the cute frogs.

kittiekuddles

thank you

i had a tough time making a decision at the pet stores, i nearly walked out with a chameleon, but a quick google of that showed they needed much lower humidity than i can provide so that was out
    they had an adorable big eyed tree frog but they only had one, and that wasnt going to get me far
    so their these little guys were, the tank is right for them so why not
    one of them is having a field day in the ivy

so when can i feed them? can i get them crickets tomorrow? or is that too soon?

bshmerlie

Congrats on the new frogs. Great choice they look really cool. With a tank your size you could have a whole colony of them. That would be awesome. They even come in blue.

s6t6nic6l

Quote Originally Posted by kittiekuddles View Post
    so when can i feed them? can i get them crickets tomorrow? or is that too soon?
    congrats. now take your fancy tank and frogs outta this thread

start a thread in your species forum now for care and advice for them and post plenty of pics of set-up and the critters as you progress.

good luck

kittiekuddles

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Congrats on the new frogs. Great choice they look really cool. With a tank your size you could have a whole colony of them. That would be awesome. They even come in blue.
    Thanks Cheri
    yeah i was hoping to find blue ones, i even called around, but no one had any. maybe one will come my way someday

kittiekuddles

Quote Originally Posted by s6t6nic6l View Post
    congrats. now take your fancy tank and frogs outta this thread

start a thread in your species forum now for care and advice for them and post plenty of pics of set-up and the critters as you progress.

good luck

LOL ok

I'm so happy for you! I love White's!

Yeah, you can feed them as soon as you want.

kittiekuddles

I'm so happy for you! I love White's!

Yeah, you can feed them as soon as you want.
    they really are cute
    they slept all day yesterday and as soon as i turned off the light they slowly woke up and started climbing all over the place. one fell, i felt so bad for him. he tried to jump all the way up to the underside of the glass cover and he didnt make it, he fell straight down and landed on the fern, hes ok! lol
    i'll get them crickets this afternoon, but if their sleeping is it ok to put the crickets in there? or do i have to wait until the lights are shut?
    my moon lights are busted on my pc light so im gonna head to kmart and see if they have a small strand of blue christmas lights, i can rig that on the outside top glass somehow and use it as a night light so i can see them better tonight
    i'll take pics of that and let ya know if it serves its purpose

I give mine crickets while they sleep, but I basically feed them when it's convenient for me. :P They're use to it now, so they might all be sleeping when I throw in the crickets, but they definitely wake up. If I get a chance to feed them at night and am not tired, then I feed them.

markun

Yep, mine do!

kittiekuddles

aww their adorable

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information