Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do fire bellied toads climb?

Default Re: Do fire bellied toads climb?

That's a very nice looking tank.

However, for fire-bellied toads, I would suggest more water than what the dish would provide. My toads, my friend's toads, and the toads where I work at all spend most of their time in the water, or sitting on rocks and land area that is just slightly below the water line.

I think you have a fantastic set-up,but it might be a waste for fire-bellied toads.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post

However, for fire-bellied toads, I would suggest more water than what the dish would provide. My toads, my friend's toads, and the toads where I work at all spend most of their time in the water, or sitting on rocks and land area that is just slightly below the water line.

I think you have a fantastic set-up,but it might be a waste for fire-bellied toads.
    Don't say that he might get mad. Your supposed to agree with him.

kittiekuddles

Thank you
    What would you put in there? because i am totally torn lol. I was looking at fire belly's and whites today and the whites were way too tiny, im afraid i may lose them in there.
    They had these cute chubby frogs, but they were all buried and they didnt look very entertaining. Gecko's were cute but im guessing the tank is too moist for them and too chilly (75 at night 82 in the day with no additional heat source) humidity is 76%
    Hubby wants to put a tarantula in there...lol now i dont see that happening at all

Quote Originally Posted by kittiekuddles View Post
    Thank you
    What would you put in there? because i am totally torn lol. I was looking at fire belly's and whites today and the whites were way too tiny, im afraid i may lose them in there.
    They had these cute chubby frogs, but they were all buried and they didnt look very entertaining. Gecko's were cute but im guessing the tank is too moist for them and too chilly (75 at night 82 in the day with no additional heat source) humidity is 76%
    Hubby wants to put a tarantula in there...lol now i dont see that happening at all

I absolutely love White's, but they really love height. If I was going with a treefrog, I would go with smaller ones. It's a huge tank so I think smaller treefrogs would use the space. From what I've seen of the chubbies, they don't do much, but others may disagree. I think terrestial frogs would do better though. My Malaysian leaf frog would probably love it.
    It wouldn't be right for leopard geckos, but there are other types that would enjoy it. You might consider the eyelash crested gecko. Very pretty and not hard to handle.
    Personally, I'd still pick frogs.
    How tall is it? It may not be bad for White's if it's taller than I'm thinking, but I would then say more branches and leaves. Maybe some cork bark to lean against the glass in some areas. My White's love to hide behind the bark during the day and then climb it at night.

kittiekuddles

Yeah im kinda hoping for some kind of frog myself, their just cuter than anything
    The tank was 31" high but with all that soil layer its now only about 26" high
    oo and i do have the cork bark, couldnt see it i guess from that other pic, but here it is in the corner, and i tilted it so it has large cave area in the back, the cork bark is 18" wide and 24" tall
    I guess if i can find medium sized whites it would work better, the ones they had looked like infants, very very small, although at that size the twigs will work, then when they get heavier i would need thicker branches for sure.
    I checked out the jungle vine today and they were too small, 6 feet long but coiled and twisted up i would need like 4 of them to make any difference in that tank
    Leaf frog aye? lol i will have to look into that, im not familiar with them

I like the tank from the front too. I am jealous of the size of the tank.

I would go with smaller White's. You don't need to go with tiny ones (though I personally love them when they're only an inch long) but at least juveniles. Are those all real plants? The real plants will grow out and it'll look more full, which will be good for the frogs. You could throw in a pothos to have some fast growth in there. If I were you and thinking of White's, I would add leaf litter under and around that water dish; otherwise, they are going to drag that dirt into the water dish (I have 5 White's; trust me, I know. ). Also, it's hard to guess the size of that water dish, but as they get bigger, you may need a bigger size.

dachshundsr4me

Quote Originally Posted by s6t6nic6l View Post
    they certainly can and certainly will. adding branches will keep them active and occupied. mine climb up the "walls" in my set-up.
    You setup is to die for. I wish you would have done a tutorial as to how you made this. I would love something like this for a frog tank later when i get moved. Can't do it before then. Move something like this from VA to FL. Nah...not happening. But kudos to you on this setup. You must get a lot of comments on it.

kittiekuddles

I like the tank from the front too. I am jealous of the size of the tank.

I would go with smaller White's. You don't need to go with tiny ones (though I personally love them when they're only an inch long) but at least juveniles. Are those all real plants? The real plants will grow out and it'll look more full, which will be good for the frogs. You could throw in a pothos to have some fast growth in there. If I were you and thinking of White's, I would add leaf litter under and around that water dish; otherwise, they are going to drag that dirt into the water dish (I have 5 White's; trust me, I know. ). Also, it's hard to guess the size of that water dish, but as they get bigger, you may need a bigger size.
    Yeah thats about how big they were, 1" with tucked in legs. I guess its kinda hard to see whats in the tank because i had to go so far back to get a full tank shot lol, but yep theirs pothos in there and leaf litter

kittiekuddles

Quote Originally Posted by dachshundsr4me View Post
    You setup is to die for. I wish you would have done a tutorial as to how you made this. I would love something like this for a frog tank later when i get moved. Can't do it before then. Move something like this from VA to FL. Nah...not happening. But kudos to you on this setup. You must get a lot of comments on it.
    thank you so much
    yeah if it ever comes time for me to move, the tank has to stay behind. it took four huge guys to get it down the basement. i was originally gonna go with the 265 gallon tank, but that was 7 feet long, its a good thing i didnt because it never would have made the turn past the staircase lol
    it was a reef tank for five years, tore that down and was totally done with any water setup. this was about the easiest care free way to go with this tank...just still not sure what animal life to put in it lol
    it started growing mushrooms already...by the time i make a decision gnomes may be moving in

Tony

That tank is much larger than the 20 gallon tanks people typically use for a White's, I wouldn't worry at all about having "only" 26 inches of height.

Oh, there is a pothos. It'll grow fast. And it looked like the right side of the bowl didn't have leaf litter but it could just be the angle.

kittiekuddles

Oh, there is a pothos. It'll grow fast. And it looked like the right side of the bowl didn't have leaf litter but it could just be the angle.
    yeah that side of the bowl i didnt put it because i have patches of live moss there that hopefully will spread
    then all to the back is more leaf litter, then a frog moss area and a huge ivy clump that takes up about 1/4 of the tank on the right side that is growing quickly
    im still going through frog choices, now im looking at red eyed tree frogs, they look like they will not get as heavy as the whites, the whites i can just picture in year, obese, and trampling all my plants flat lol, but they are the cutest

They do like to trample. They will destroy fragile plants. But my 5 is fine with the pothos and the cryptanthus and moss in there.

kittiekuddles

They do like to trample. They will destroy fragile plants. But my 5 is fine with the pothos and the cryptanthus and moss in there.

I guess the ivy will bounce back, and the bromeliads are pretty strong, the fern may get squished but thats no big deal
    ok i guess this is it, they are the cutest, and im sure they will have fun in there
    the red eyed ones i just watched on youtube and i didnt like them too much, their legs were so skinny lol..pretty but i think i like the fatties better
    now its time to find a decent sized frog(s)
    and the water bowl should fit two very large adults, so in time i will have to get a larger bowl or just add another
    phew i cant wait til this is done...ive been racking my brain over this LOL

I adore White's! Try to find a blue phase if you can. If you look at my photo album, my White's are blue phase, and the color is so awesome.

kittiekuddles

I just looked at your photo album and yours are adorable! I love them in the water bowl
    I hope i can find a blue phase, i found them online mail order, id prefer to find them locally but that may take some searching
    although several years back i did buy a baby sulcata tortoise online and he was perfect, so i may try online again if i dont find anything around here

s6t6nic6l

superb layout. well done. great terrestial build up. don't waste that set-up by getting something that's going to be stuck in the top corner of that all day, make sure you get an active species at least. i'm sorry but that to me is another F B T home in the making. i'm guessing there is no lid at the moment on there, what with the raised light canopy. SUGGESTION: with some work on temperature, humidity and secure top fitting>>>>DARTS. now that would be a showpiece. good luck on what you get for your endeavours and will be eagerly looking forward to seeing the inhabitants at "play".

kittiekuddles

Quote Originally Posted by s6t6nic6l View Post
    superb layout. well done. great terrestial build up. don't waste that set-up by getting something that's going to be stuck in the top corner of that all day, make sure you get an active species at least. i'm sorry but that to me is another F B T home in the making. i'm guessing there is no lid at the moment on there, what with the raised light canopy. SUGGESTION: with some work on temperature, humidity and secure top fitting>>>>DARTS. now that would be a showpiece. good luck on what you get for your endeavours and will be eagerly looking forward to seeing the inhabitants at "play".
    Exactly why i was asking about the fire belly's
    because i know tree frogs dont do much, i had the small green tree frogs as a kid and its true, all they did was stay in the upper corner
    Oh and yes their is a lid, its all glass with a 1/4 of it screened in the back...dang my pics dont come across right do they
    the light is a power compact 6 foot strip light with 4x96 watts of daylight, it sits right on top of the tank with the legs attached...ya know im just gonna show a far away shot lol
    ahh Darts, those cute little ones...but..feeding is a problem right? like i would have to raise my own fruit flies?

peeka

Forget the frogs! Can I move in? Great Tank

Ally

kittiekuddles

Quote Originally Posted by peeka View Post
    Forget the frogs! Can I move in? Great Tank

Ally

LOL!!

thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information