Thread: New project, new to frogs

Atreyu rokks

Default New project, new to frogs

So I have been keep boas for close to seven years now and am not new to keeping reptiles. Frogs on the other hand will be a first for me. I am looking into getting a few red eyes or amazon milk tree frogs. I will be doing a lot of work to this enclosure, but I want to make it easy to clean, and very nice for veiwing pleasure. Here is the enclosure I will be working with.

The enclosure stands 6ft tall and a foot wide. 4ft tall not including the pedistol(sp) and top. I plan on cutting a door out which be about 2ft tall. I just need pointers on the best way to do live plants and possibly moving water or misting devices. I don't expect this to be a cheap project, but one I will enjoy. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: New project, new to frogs

It can be done. I think your biggest challenge will be ventilation. You definitely going to need some fans to get some airflow. Maybe an air inlet at the bottom and an exhaust at the top.

Atreyu rokks

Thanks for the help with that. That is actually somthing I hadn't thought about but makes very good sense. Any recomdation on what type of fans or where I can get them.

I would preferably like to stick with somthing around 3inchs in diameter that can be inset in the whole. Preferably an outgoing fan on top and an ongoing on the bottom.

Do you think that would work alright?

bshmerlie

Default Re: New project, new to frogs

I'm not sure if they sell small fans specifically for terarriums or not but years ago I use to use computer fans to cool off lighting above my salt reef tank. They are small and should give you enough air flow through the tank. This is going to be a really cool tank once you're done. Post some pics of your progress. Also think about how you're going to clean the glass. Tree frogs will leave little foot prints and poop running down the glass for you almost daily. You're going to need acress to clean it further down. Maybe through the door your talking about putting in. Also lighting for plants further down. Things to consider. As far as plants go you have so many options with height like that. Take a visit to Home Depot to their indoor plant section. You could put plants that grow tall at the bottom and long vines hanging from the top growing down. Pothos grows super long while hanging and would eventually reach the bottom. Crickets will climb up the plants so feeding shouldnt be an issue. Maybe water bowls on MagNatuals rock ledges at different levels would prevent all frogs from having to go all the way to the bottom for water. Or perhaps a waterfall running down a long piece of wood running from top to bottom, although you'd have to find the right type of wood. Oops sorry I'm rambling you just have so many options... I'm jealous...I'll stop now....keep us posted.

Atreyu rokks

Thanks alot for all the great info. I plan on making the door about two feet tall, and the door will basically wrap around half of the tank(specifically for easy access).

I will def keep you posted on this project.

It will be a slow moving one though, simply because I want to do it right. The time issue is no problem for me... I still need to figure out weather I want red eyes or amazon milks.

I did see an anxthic(?) red eye a while ago that looked very nice... I just can't find any for sale... I'm guessing it's prob a fairly new morph which would also mean it prob well beyond my price range. Anyways, time will tell.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Mike

Atreyu rokks

Oh yeah, and I wanted to say... Keep rambling... I'm learning alot from it. Lol. I need all the help I can possibly get. Thanks much!

Thread Information