Thread: Frog Window Shopping

peeka

Default Frog Window Shopping

So I was doing some online window shopping for frogs and I came across a couple of sites that sells frogs such as

Reptmart

Reptile Supplies and Live Reptiles for sale at Reptmart. Your Online Reptile and Supply Superstore

Big AppleHerp

Reptile Supplies, Dog, Cat, Small Pet Supply & Aquarium Products

Reptiles-N-Critters

Exotic Reptiles For Sale!

PetFrog.Com

Pet Frogs For Sale: Exotics Like Red Eyed Tree Frogs, Whites, More!

are these big online places ok to buy from? I'm nervous with them being such big companies they may not actually take a close look at the individual frogs they sell. I must add I have heard nothing but rave reviews about Josh's Frogs does anyone have any information about these other ones?

Thanks

Ally

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tony

Default Re: Frog Window Shopping

ReptMart is owned by Mark and Kim Bell. I have never bought animals from them but they are well known and seem to have a good rep, especially in the leopard gecko community. I don't know anything about the others.

bshmerlie

I've never bought frogs from any of those places and I always stay away from any place until I hear only positive replys from other frog members. Places like Joshes Frogs and Rainforestjunkies.com have earned the rave reviews that they get. They simply don't send out sick frogs. Read on the forums where some major frog players are getting their frogs and its not Petsmart. Be wise where you choose to get your frogs from, buy only captive bred when ever possible, and don't go with the cheapest place...go with the place that you are certain will give you the healthiest frog. It will save you a lot of heart ache in the long run.

John911

We have had great luck with josh's frogs, mike at sandfiredragonranch sold us 2 really nice ornates. Reptilecity offers free shipping over $100. One of the 5 big eye's we ordered died the first day, but the other 4 are growing like mad, as well as 2 fantasy frogs. Free shipping = you get a flat rate us postal service box with no special packing really...so you get what you pay for, or dont pay for in a free shipping deal.

peeka

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    I've never bought frogs from any of those places and I always stay away from any place until I hear only positive replys from other frog members. Places like Joshes Frogs and Rainforestjunkies.com have earned the rave reviews that they get. They simply don't send out sick frogs. Read on the forums where some major frog players are getting their frogs and its not Petsmart. Be wise where you choose to get your frogs from, buy only captive bred when ever possible, and don't go with the cheapest place...go with the place that you are certain will give you the healthiest frog. It will save you a lot of heart ache in the long run.
    Yup I agree with everything you said.
    I tried looking around for firebelly toads here. I called local breeders and most laughed me off and told me to go to Petsmart or Petco. After looking at alot of the pet stores around here and being unhappy I found one that had a knowledgable person working the reptiles area and the animals there looked good. She fed them for me and they all ate so I figured if all else fails I will purchase from there.

Unfortunately neither Josh's Frogs or Rainforest junkies have what i'm looking for.

Ally

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by peeka View Post
    Yup I agree with everything you said.
    I tried looking around for firebelly toads here. I called local breeders and most laughed me off and told me to go to Petsmart or Petco. After looking at alot of the pet stores around here and being unhappy I found one that had a knowledgable person working the reptiles area and the animals there looked good. She fed them for me and they all ate so I figured if all else fails I will purchase from there.

Unfortunately neither Josh's Frogs or Rainforest junkies have what i'm looking for.

Ally
    Very few people breed firebellies, it just isn't economically feasible. They come in as very cheap imports, are hardy, and adapt well to captivity with minimal losses. A breeder can not maintain a colony and raise tadpoles into salable froglets for anywhere near the cost of an imported specimen and there is no distinct benefit to CB over imports like there is with many other frogs.

peeka

So after thinking about maybe I should ask this question.
    Where do you guys get your frogs? Could you list good places to buy, places you trust.
    This would be good information for newbies to the hobby and I'll update the thread as people add to it.

so far we have

Josh's Frogs
    http://www.joshsfrogs.com/

Rainforest Junky's
    http://s90418222.onlinehome.us/rainf...tpage&Itemid=6

Ally

peeka

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Very few people breed firebellies, it just isn't economically feasible. They come in as very cheap imports, are hardy, and adapt well to captivity with minimal losses. A breeder can not maintain a colony and raise tadpoles into salable froglets for anywhere near the cost of an imported specimen and there is no distinct benefit to CB over imports like there is with many other frogs.
    Yup. I'm figuring that out now. The only place I have found them was at the one pet shop I liked and then the stores I inquired about in my first post but no one seems to know too much about them so far.

Also is there a way to edit my original post to include any recommended places to buy for people who read this thread later don't have to scroll through the entire thread to get that information?

Ally

bshmerlie

It all kind of depends on what kind of frogs you're looking for. As far as firebellies go, as Tony said they are a very Hardy and adaptable bunch. They will almost all be wild caught and that is not a bad thing as they will be more vividly colorful than CB. Look for a healthy pair any petstore even Petsmart ask them to be fed and pick out the quickest and fatest. What kind of frogs are you looking for?

peeka

I'm looking for firebelly toads at the moment, after that who knows. I have definitely been bitten by the froggy bug and I love spending my time looking online for different types of frogs and toads I may be interested in later. I guess I was more trying to find information on which places I can trust when it comes to buying frogs, which people or businesses are well respected in this hobby etc

Ally

bshmerlie

Fire bellies are a blast and were also my intro into the frog community. But watch out frogs can be addictive.

Animalnstinct

I have never purchased from any of those places, yet. However, I have heard good about all of them on different things and the only one I heard anything bad about was Reptiles-N-Critters. Which, don't quote me on because it could be wrong and correct me if I am.

I was looking at purchasing from Reptiles-N-Critters but I came across a post in another forum where everyone was saying they don't actually have the pets on hand. From what everyone else was saying, I guess they are actually drop shippers and they got their pets from US Global Exotics which was shut down for horribly mistreating their animals.

Since reading that, I have decided to look elsewhere just to be safe. I don't have a problem at all with drop shippers, I just don't feel comfortable with someone who might be drop shipping live animals.

peeka

Quote Originally Posted by Animalnstinct View Post
    I have never purchased from any of those places, yet. However, I have heard good about all of them on different things and the only one I heard anything bad about was Reptiles-N-Critters. Which, don't quote me on because it could be wrong and correct me if I am.

I was looking at purchasing from Reptiles-N-Critters but I came across a post in another forum where everyone was saying they don't actually have the pets on hand. From what everyone else was saying, I guess they are actually drop shippers and they got their pets from US Global Exotics which was shut down for horribly mistreating their animals.

Since reading that, I have decided to look elsewhere just to be safe. I don't have a problem at all with drop shippers, I just don't feel comfortable with someone who might be drop shipping live animals.

Thanks! That was very helpful
    I actually did a search and I also found that they had mixed reviews but the owner comes off a little rude when you try to contact him with questions.

Reptiles 'n Critters (INQUIRY) - FaunaClassifieds

So I won't be going with them either. Reptmart on the other hand had nothing but glowing reviews on that site.

Ally

peeka

Quote Originally Posted by John911 View Post
    We have had great luck with josh's frogs, mike at sandfiredragonranch sold us 2 really nice ornates. Reptilecity offers free shipping over $100. One of the 5 big eye's we ordered died the first day, but the other 4 are growing like mad, as well as 2 fantasy frogs. Free shipping = you get a flat rate us postal service box with no special packing really...so you get what you pay for, or dont pay for in a free shipping deal.
    I had somehow missed your post earlier. Thanks I will also check these places out

Ally

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by peeka View Post
    So after thinking about maybe I should ask this question.
    Where do you guys get your frogs? Could you list good places to buy, places you trust.
    This would be good information for newbies to the hobby and I'll update the thread as people add to it.

so far we have

Josh's Frogs
    http://www.joshsfrogs.com/

Rainforest Junky's
    http://s90418222.onlinehome.us/rainf...tpage&Itemid=6

Ally
    Don't forget Black Jungle
    http://www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com/

They carry mostly darts, but also sell some treefrogs. Last time I was in there, they had some ebraccatus for sale.

Thread Information