Thread: 72 gallon ACF tank rescape! (Was a little bored!)

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default 72 gallon ACF tank rescape! (Was a little bored!)

Was doing a waterchange on my 72 G bowfront, when I decided that it needed a make over --
    it houses my 10 acf (8 x. laevis and 2 x. borealis) and 2 goldfish (1 fantail, 1 common)

what do you think?

BEFORE:

AFTER:

left side:

right side:

more pictures of the new scape:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 72 gallon ACF tank rescape! (Was a little bored!)

Wow! I am thinking about getting bored too!

Awesome, you are really serious about Xenopus...

Nationality
    [United States]

I am just smitten with them - - I love having a big ol' tank for them...them seem to enjoy it as well! I am keeping my eyes open for a leucistic x.laevis - its the only color morph i do not have.

I am proud to have three species now - - laevis, borealis, and a tropicalis female... I hope to have some more in the future once I can set up more large tanks.

how many xenopus species have you owned terry?

ramble

Nice! Looks a lot more natural.

Nationality
    [United States]

thank you! i think it came out fairly well considering it is mostly all silk plants - - only live plants are the floating wisteria and one small banana plant.

I am trying to research other live plants that need a very low maintenance system ( no CO2) and are hardy enough to withstand goldfish nibbling and acf legs kicking

FrogFarm

Your tank is so nice Jenste!

Have you tried Java moss?

FrogmanGav

Nice tank, its frog city in there.

I wouldnt get and real live plants for the frogs as it will probably cost you a bit replacing them after the frogs have finished uprooting them. Stay with a nice soft plastic plant as it will work out a lot easier in the long run.

TommyBoi

Hi there. I just wanted to say what an awesome forum this is, especially the African Clawed Frog posts ;o) I have been raising & breeding them off & on for over 13 years now, since High School. I have 1 pair (1M & 1Fm) X. Laevis Pigmented adults; 1 X. laevis Albino Retic Fm Adult; 1 Albino M adult; 1 X. laevis albino froglet;1 Pair (1M & 1Fm) adult Borealis; 2 X. Boumbaensis froglets. Will be getting at least a Pair of Trops very soon!!! I am looking for X. amieti and any other types, any help is greatly appreciated!!! P.S. Im really hoping my Boumbaensis are a Male & Female, but I wont know for another couple months or so...

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoi View Post
    Hi there. I just wanted to say what an awesome forum this is, especially the African Clawed Frog posts ;o) I have been raising & breeding them off & on for over 13 years now, since High School. I have 1 pair (1M & 1Fm) X. Laevis Pigmented adults; 1 X. laevis Albino Retic Fm Adult; 1 Albino M adult; 1 X. laevis albino froglet;1 Pair (1M & 1Fm) adult Borealis; 2 X. Boumbaensis froglets. Will be getting at least a Pair of Trops very soon!!! I am looking for X. amieti and any other types, any help is greatly appreciated!!! P.S. Im really hoping my Boumbaensis are a Male & Female, but I wont know for another couple months or so...

I don't know if you have stumbled upon these guys yet, but they do carry X. Amieti. However I believe they are in the Czech Republic, but it is worth having a look at. Perhaps they have a contact in North America.
    Where did you get your reticulated from?

Nationality
    [Canada]

By the way Jenna, I have been meaning to ask you about your overflow. Is it in operation? I had my frogs in my 60 gallon with my fancy goldfish to grow out. My albino went over the overflow and got stuck in the strainer of the standpipe. She lost her left hand. It seems to be growing back slowly sans one finger.

TommyBoi

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    I don't know if you have stumbled upon these guys yet, but they do carry X. Amieti. However I believe they are in the Czech Republic, but it is worth having a look at. Perhaps they have a contact in North America.
    Where did you get your reticulated from?
    I get all of my ACF's from Xenopus Express...the owner is very nice, extremely generous, and has always selected frogs with certain pigmentation or coloring, that he knows I'll enjoy having in my colony. Last week, I ordered them Wednesday morning, and they arrived Thursday morning. The 2 little Xenopus Boumbaensis froglets are really cool, and they have a "cross-shaped" pattern near their eyes & forehead. Burley (the owner of Xenopus.com/Xenopus Express) told me that they grow to about the size of the Tropicalis, so maybe these will mature quicker than the leavis?
    Today, I set up 2 (two) 20-Gallon High, aquariums, and am going to put the albino male in one, and the pigmented male in the other...after a couple of days, I will put the reticulated albino female in with the pigmented male, and the Pigmented Female in with the albino male. I hope to have a successful breeding within 2 weeks or less. I used to be very successful with getting them to breed. But this is my first endeavor back into the ACF world, in over 3 years ;o)

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you end up with anything nice I would be interested in perhaps obtaining some offspring from you. I have plans to be Chicago in August. I am already planning on haveing some of Jenna's offspring shipped to me if they are ready then. If anyone else up here is interested, I would be willing to bring some up for them too.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    By the way Jenna, I have been meaning to ask you about your overflow. Is it in operation? I had my frogs in my 60 gallon with my fancy goldfish to grow out. My albino went over the overflow and got stuck in the strainer of the standpipe. She lost her left hand. It seems to be growing back slowly sans one finger.
    I do use the overflow compartment to house my intake valve - the lid is cut to fit the tank and there is only a 1/4 inch or so between the top of the overflow and the glass lid - - there are numerous slots in the wall of the overflow compartment that the water flows through, rather than over the wall at the top.

I have not had a problem with a frog being able to fit into the overflow, including the male borealis and female tropicalis in my tank (very small frogs as far as clawed frogs go). For my mom's tank, to keep her fish from being sucked in, we took plastic mesh and fit it to the top of the overflow to block a fish from being able to swim in.

TommyBoi

Hey there if u have pics or anything of yours, that would be kewl!! And, I know id be interested in buying a pair from you, if u manage to bring some with!!!
    The 2 males are alone in their 20G High tanks tonite, so tomorrow or Fri, I will lower the water levels, to about 3-4 inches....then a day or 2 later, I will add several inches of slightly cooler water, to hopefully get the males into thinking the rainy/breeding season has arrived ;o)
    Also, One of my ultimate goals is to crossbreed a Borealis with a laevis albino...many years ago, I mated a male Borealis x laevis hybrid, with a laevis Albino Female...but because the male was sterile (as males seem to be with cross-breeding), the eggs were no good. But now, with pure-bred borealis, and a retic female, it would be interesting to see what the offspring would look like, and if any Albinos with borealis traits, would pop up!!!

Thread Information