Thread: If they don't like filters...

ramble

Default If they don't like filters...

Will they ever get used to it? I added a very small submersible filter, set to the lowest flow. It doesn't seem to bother my female ADF but the male acts terrified, trying to bury himself, won't eat, won't come out, not calling, etc. And he's usually the ham!

After three days of not eating, he was looking skinny so I just turned the filter off, fed them and he's pigging out.

Will he ever accept the filter? Is it worth trying another like a canister or should I just switch back to water changes? They are in a 20g long, just the two frogs, with a Zoo Med 318 filter.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: If they don't like filters...

I've had over 20 years experience of keeping Hymenochirus frogs.

I understand that your filter has a flow rate of 30-55 GPH, which in my view is excessive even at its lowest setting. Filters containing a motorised pump are designed principally for use in fish aquaria. Most fish originate from rivers and streams with strong water currents. Hymenochirus frogs, on the other hand, originate from pools (in equatorial west Africa) where the water's still or very slow-moving. It follows therefore, that if the frogs are kept in a tank with a lot of water movement at all levels of the tank, they are trying to survive in conditions that they're not adapted for.

I would recommended a gentle filter system such as an air powered foam or box filter. Of the two, the foam filter is probably best and very efficient when established. This type of filter provides good mechanical and biological filtration.

It is possible to keep the frogs successfully in tanks with a motorised pump filter but it's best if the turbulence is absorbed by directing the pump output towards the back, corner or side of the tank or attaching a spray bar directed upwards against the back of the tank.

4. This member thanks Geoff for this post:

ramble

Aw crud, maybe I was just misinformed when I bought this. The description I saw said 10-30gph (I was aiming for under powered) and a review said they used it with frogs. I had it aimed to the back corner but I guess it is just too strong overall.

He has been swimming around like crazy since I turned it off and is now calling, so it definitely was the filter. I will look into the other kinds. I might just do water changes for now so as to not stress him out for a while though.

Thanks for double checking the filter specs for me.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

a Whisper hang on the back filter might be a good option for you - - if you have the water line even with the out put it makes a very very minor current.

it is quite and subtle - very nice for smaller tanks with frogs

ramble

I hadn't found a Whisper one I thought would work - 1, because my water level is low right now, about 2/3 filled (I started at 1/2 have been raising it about 1" each water change) and 2, I have had two for my other tank break this year (crappy hangers and suction cups) and I'm not too terribly happy with that brand right now.

If I don't find anything else that will seem to work, I can go that route though so it's good to know the amount of flow is right.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

you could also try an elite stingray internal filter, just aim the output at a corner. I have used this with newly morphed ACF froglets with success

Thread Information