Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: African Dwarf Frog questions! Please help!

1buscemi

Default Re: African Dwarf Frog questions! Please help!

oh i definitely will :-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

don't forget the dechlorinator

1buscemi

...i know the pet store sells these small dechlorinating shells, they're small and white, and they just sit on the tank floor. is this what you are referring to?

Nationality
    [United States]

not at all...its a liquid.

ask any employee - they will know what dechlorinator is.

You can also pick up Stress coat to help them out since they are a bit under the weather. But definitely get some dechlorinator

1buscemi

oh boy am I glad I met you..lol...I would have gotten the wrong things for them, or I probably would have let them be...

Nationality
    [United States]

No worries. You seem like you have the heart of a great frog owner! When you get back start a new post just for your frogs so we can track their progress in their own little thread

(pictures would be helpful too so we can see if there are any signs of disease starting)

Nationality
    [United States]

1buscemi - - any update on your adfs?

1buscemi

hey, I am having trouble finding a heater for plastic tanks.

Nationality
    [United States]

That falls in line with you really needing to upgrade. A 5 gallon glass tank is all you would need. But as it is winter you desperately need to get those frogs in warmer water if you want them to have any chance at all of surviving

Quote Originally Posted by 1buscemi View Post
    oh boy am I glad I met you..lol...I would have gotten the wrong things for them, or I probably would have let them be...
    You do realise that its one african dwarf frog per 2.5 gallons? So you NEED to upgrade that tank to atleast a 5gallon. Here is a good site for your questions. I have another one. But this fellow member made it simple to understand.
    http://thefrogfarm.yolasite.com/adf-faq.php

search through here.

FrogFarm

Okay, first thing is first, the set up you have in mind with snails, shrimp, frogs, and multiple fish could work. However, the snails aren't the best idea for a number of reasons. If they are small enough for the frogs to eat them they can kill/hurt the frogs who don't know any better. If they are too large the frog can get a limb caught inside them, this happened to one of Jenstes' ACF (Louie) and she got lucky with it but it could have been much worse. Fish are great, but if the fish are too small, the frogs might eat them. This isn't good for the ADFs as many fish have enzymes in them that are harmful to the frogs. The shrimp they barely notice for the most part, but won't harm the frogs even if eaten. So if you want a small schooling fish that won't get gobbled, maybe go for full-grown guppies (too big for an ADF to eat) or something of that sort.

The betta would probably work (instead of the school fish, of course) as they normally do well with ADF. I have a male betta in with my adult ADF and they're quite interactive with each other but not in a bad way. However, the betta did hunt down the shrimp and eat them.

As for food, frozen blood worms/brine shrimp are the way to go in my opinion. Much easier than feeding live (unless you want to farm your own feed) and just as nutritional. I like the fact that the betta and frogs are on pretty much the same diet, too. It makes feeding time alot easier.

Other bottom feeders, as someone mentioned, aren't the best tank-mates for ADF as there can be food competition. BUT if you choose to go with an algae-eater of some sort you don't have to worry about this as they aren't interested in the frogs' food and vise-versa.

Anyways sorry for going on and on, I just thought I would give my thoughts on the matter.

Deku, I agree with you on the 2 gallon tank matter, buscemi1 definately needs an upgrade but I think he/she knows this now.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogFarm View Post
    Okay, first thing is first, the set up you have in mind with snails, shrimp, frogs, and multiple fish could work. However, the snails aren't the best idea for a number of reasons. If they are small enough for the frogs to eat them they can kill/hurt the frogs who don't know any better. If they are too large the frog can get a limb caught inside them, this happened to one of Jenstes' ACF (Louie) and she got lucky with it but it could have been much worse. Fish are great, but if the fish are too small, the frogs might eat them. This isn't good for the ADFs as many fish have enzymes in them that are harmful to the frogs. The shrimp they barely notice for the most part, but won't harm the frogs even if eaten. So if you want a small schooling fish that won't get gobbled, maybe go for full-grown guppies (too big for an ADF to eat) or something of that sort.

The betta would probably work (instead of the school fish, of course) as they normally do well with ADF. I have a male betta in with my adult ADF and they're quite interactive with each other but not in a bad way. However, the betta did hunt down the shrimp and eat them.

As for food, frozen blood worms/brine shrimp are the way to go in my opinion. Much easier than feeding live (unless you want to farm your own feed) and just as nutritional. I like the fact that the betta and frogs are on pretty much the same diet, too. It makes feeding time alot easier.

Other bottom feeders, as someone mentioned, aren't the best tank-mates for ADF as there can be food competition. BUT if you choose to go with an algae-eater of some sort you don't have to worry about this as they aren't interested in the frogs' food and vise-versa.

Anyways sorry for going on and on, I just thought I would give my thoughts on the matter.

Deku, I agree with you on the 2 gallon tank matter, buscemi1 definately needs an upgrade but I think he/she knows this now.
    Lol'd I didn't read the whole thread. Cause someone else posted a ton of questions on my thread. I have low attention span so I only read the first few questions the made, and a few replies. But I didn't see anyone reply to them about the tank size. Obviously that tank is too small. I personally think he/she should have a 12gallon or so and get 5frogs. Because adf are kinda community frogs. They always do better in groups. I remember seeing htem where I used to work at. the one that was alone, just sat there the whole day. While there was a 40breeder with like 20frogs or so. They were constantly active. I remember the guy said he wasnt in with the other frogs because he was brought in as a return. So he didn't want to take a chance.

FrogFarm

Oh yes you're definitely right about that!

Oh yes you're definitely right about that!
    I decided a while ago that I may set up a tank just for african dwarf frogs, and like 20small fish like danios. I like danios. And this tank would be a 40breeder. Lol id get like 13frogs or so. and 20small danios and 10shrimps. lol

FrogFarm

That sounds good to me.

However, I would go with a larger species (like Giant Danios) as you don't want your frogs eating them. They have a lot of trouble digesting full-grown fish.

Other than that it sounds good to me.

That sounds good to me.

However, I would go with a larger species (like Giant Danios) as you don't want your frogs eating them. They have a lot of trouble digesting full-grown fish.

Other than that it sounds good to me.
    i thought danios were too fast for em?

FrogFarm

Many say so, but one of my frogs got a tetra which are quite quick.
    I wouldn't worry all that much in a larger tank though, just something to consider.

Many say so, but one of my frogs got a tetra which are quite quick.
    I wouldn't worry all that much in a larger tank though, just something to consider.
    Okay lol. I wonder if I can feed the frogs baby roaches too? Iam thinking of getting a few pet roaches(don't ask why-lol). Iam thinking of madagascan hissing roaches or the giant burrowing roaches. I will most likely go with the second one IF Iam able to locate them. Id get like 2-3 to start with. And id wait for them to get preggerz. When the babies come out Iam wondering If I can use some to be fed to turtles, ADF, and toads?

FrogFarm

I don't think that ADF could eat the baby roaches.
    I think they'd be too rough to digest, you know?
    My friend breeds madascar hissing cockroaches (at least I think she still does, haven't been to her place in a while) and the babies are look pretty "tough" in terms of a meal. For a turtle I would say definitely, but for ADF I wouldn't recommend it, and I don't know all that much about toads at all so...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information