Thread: Canned Crickets

DCrews

Default Canned Crickets

Hi:

I posted this question in the feeding forum a while back, but I didn't get any replies so I thought I would post it here.

I'm curious about what everyone's thoughts are on feeding canned crickets to a White's Tree Frog. I've been feeding live and canned crickets. He doesn't seem to have any problem with eating the canned ones. However, I was wondering how much nutritional value canned crickets actually have. I'm thinking they probably aren't as healthy as a gutloaded live cricket. Am I wasting my time feeding them to the frog?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Canned Crickets

Nutrition values should be listed on the can.

kittiekuddles

Just this morning while doing research on whites tree frogs i came across article about a very sick whites frog. He was suffering from MBD.
    The frog was fed those canned crickets all his life and the owner never dusted them.
    I dont believe any vitamins or calcium is added to these canned crickets at all. I imagine if dusting them would have made them ok to use?
    I have used them in the past, but for a tiger salamander, he was on them for several years and did fine...but tiger salamanders arent prone to MBD

I'd like to know too if canned crickets are ok to use IF they are dusted with calc and vit supplements, since using straight out of the can has proven to not meet the dietary needs of a whites tree frog

charlamanda

I never used the canned crickets, but I know if it aint movin they aren't eaten it!LOL
    Since I've had mine I found if I pick up a dying cricket, that just not movin much, with big tweezers and dandle it in front of them they will grab them and gobble them up. Just a note if anyone is interested. I beleive they freeze dry the crickets after they've been fed so the overall nutritional value should be the same as undusted crickets, a note from the pet shop owner, so I would advise dusting them, unless it says that there has been vitamins added. I assume they don't add the calcium too due to the degradation of the Ca w/vitamins Hope this helps I've done my homework and ask a ridiculous amount of questions at pet stores and the vets about my Gray Tree frogs and related matter.

charlamanda

BTW.....MBD is this metabolic disorder? I can't keep up with all the letter abbrev.LOL

kittiekuddles

Quote Originally Posted by charlamanda View Post
    BTW.....MBD is this metabolic disorder? I can't keep up with all the letter abbrev.LOL

yeah i couldnt spell it so i just went with the abbreviation lol

DCrews

Quote Originally Posted by kittiekuddles View Post
    Just this morning while doing research on whites tree frogs i came across article about a very sick whites frog. He was suffering from MBD.
    The frog was fed those canned crickets all his life and the owner never dusted them.
    I dont believe any vitamins or calcium is added to these canned crickets at all. I imagine if dusting them would have made them ok to use?
    I have used them in the past, but for a tiger salamander, he was on them for several years and did fine...but tiger salamanders arent prone to MBD

I'd like to know too if canned crickets are ok to use IF they are dusted with calc and vit supplements, since using straight out of the can has proven to not meet the dietary needs of a whites tree frog
    That's interesting. I've been dusting both the live and canned crickets.

gtr319

i only dust mine with calcium dust, what else am i missing?

kittiekuddles

Quote Originally Posted by gtr319 View Post
    i only dust mine with calcium dust, what else am i missing?

I thought vitamins, but i guess thats not necessary?

gtr319

heck... maybe i should get the vitamins as well and swap them each feeding... or.... dust both... pwahahaha

12. This member thanks gtr319 for this post:

kittiekuddles

Quote Originally Posted by gtr319 View Post
    heck... maybe i should get the vitamins as well and swap them each feeding... or.... dust both... pwahahaha
    im gonna do both myself, i dont know why...but im gonna

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by kittiekuddles View Post
    yeah i couldnt spell it so i just went with the abbreviation lol
    Thanks! LOL I am a terrible speller, but being in the medical field I can spell most anything related to it....even the really big words!LOL
    Thanks again, there is a lot of abbrev., which ironically I can't spell,, and I get a bit lost!

jtay

Quote Originally Posted by charlamanda View Post
    Metabolic bone disease

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by jtay View Post
    Metabolic bone disease
    OK now I am confused. Which is it? Metabolic disorder or metabolic bone disease?

Usually you don't see metabolic in front of bone, it's usually bone disease or metabolic disorder, but I am sure there are many diseases and disorders I am unfamiliar with. So by all means explain this to me, I'd love to learn.

jtay

MBD stands for Metabolic Bone Disease, also known as 'soft bones'. It is an umbrella term that is used to describe bone conditions, often caused by calcium deficiency.
    Google it, there is loads of info out there.

Thread Information