Thread: 200L/50g Horizontal Paludarium project

Scog

Default 200L/50g Horizontal Paludarium project

Hi there guys, I'm new to this forum and have started this thread to document the construction of this new home for my 5 green and golden bell frogs, and maybe even get a little advice along the way.

So far I have been collecting a few things to get started, and I'm now at the stage of designing and collecting landscaping materials. I plan to start putting it together within the next week.

The main design will be laid out like this:
    In the left back corner will be a Do It Yourself waterfall fed from a small submersible aquarium filter hidden inside. The rest of the back wall will be backed with half rounds of punga tree log, a native NZ tree fern. the texture is something like coconut fiber.

The waterfall will feed a small creek that runs diagonally towards the front of the tank and connects to a large pool taking up the right hand third of the tank. This pool will be reasonably deep (maybe about 20L/5) and contain a number of aquatic plants and 6 - 10 white cloud mountain minnows. I have heard that it is not recommended to house fish with frogs however I think this choice of fish should be ok, as they are small, hardy, active, mild tempered, and the plants and decorations will provide them with plenty of cover.

The tank will be planted with an assortment of plants and native New Zealand mosses (From Ebony ). The substrate for these will probably be a mixture of sphagnum moss, coco coir, and potting mix. Underneath this up to just above the water level will be filled with hydroton clay balls for drainage. Water will seep through the pond wall, drain through under the substrate from left to right where it is processed through the filter and pumped up and out the waterfall, into the stream, and back into the pond. This way I have a circular water cycle with a gentle current to prevent algae and other problems that can arise from stagnant water.

I will build the hood myself, with the front half being fine mesh with lift out doors, and the back half being a light hood with 4 small cfl bulbs. They will be set up with warm white bulbs on each end and bright daylight bulbs in the centre and each will have their own timer so I can set them up to simulate a natural sunrise/sunset cycle. I may even include a small fan for some air circulation and a Do It Yourself led moonlight.

At the end of this I hope to have a low maintenance, natural looking, lush, and stable ecosystem with plenty of movement and life, and lots of room for my frogs to feel comfortable and have fun exploring.

More to come soon

Sam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 200L/50g Horizontal Paludarium project

You've definitely given this a lot of thought! I think the White Clouds would be a fine choice. Aside from that, I would recommend you make the waterfall pump as easily accessible as possible because when pumps fail, people often have to tear their beautiful terrariums apart to get at the pump.

Ebony's going to be the expert on the plants!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Scog

Default Re: 200L/50g Horizontal Paludarium project

Yes I plan to make the waterfall in two parts so I can access the filter easily, I expect it will need frequent cleaning to start with while the tank settles in, especially considering the soil components.

New Zealand has some really wonderful native mosses, There are many different varieties and in some parts of the forest it grows in big soft spongy patches that you just want to lie down and go to sleep on. I think I will also have to ask Ebony if she can get me some small ferns or other plants from the same area as she gets the moss too.
    You can even get moss that is like miniature ferns!

Thread Information