Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red Eyed Tree Frog - Habitat Questions

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red Eyed Tree Frog - Habitat Questions

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    I have used Arrow head in my red eye tanks with no ill effect.
    I'm trying for the 1st time using the cricket bowl and it works slick. Although, the 1st frog in had to do his duty in there and I had to clean it and refill it with crickets afterwards. :-)

Now for a question I am not sure is totally true......
    My Red Eyes walk around in the plantation soil and nothing sticks to them it seems, but my Whites tree frogs are instantly covered in the coco fiber mixed in the soil... is there a reasonable explanation for this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Balvennie

Hi all,

I have recently finished constructing my new red-eye terrarium, and realise that I could get a lot more critters in there! It's 1.2m long x 1m high and 41cm deep. It has a waterfall, pond, and sculpted background with plenty of plants (and more still to be added). Right now I have only 3 red-eyes, and while I'm planning on getting a few more, I'd like to know if anyone can suggest another species I can safely put in there? I'm open to other treefrogs, toads, small lizards, but not snakes.

This is my first post, but will try to add a photo of the setup. You can also see a (not very good quality) video here: Log in | Facebook
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nicely done Belvennie.

5. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

kiwibaby

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    I'm trying for the 1st time using the cricket bowl and it works slick. Although, the 1st frog in had to do his duty in there and I had to clean it and refill it with crickets afterwards. :-)
    Once again I would like to commend you on your beautiful viv crafting skills. Its giving me inspiration for when I redo my frog's viv once I have some more money. Would you mind taking a picture of your cricket bowl? I keep hearing talk about using cricket bowls but I can't imagine a bowl where the crickets wouldn't just jump right out.

Balvennie, that is also a very beautiful tank! As far as what else to put in there, I always hear not to keep different species of frogs in the same housing to avoid cross-contamination. Red eyes in particular seem to be sensitive and somewhat prone to illness. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members may know of some safe species they can mix with though?

7. This member thanks kiwibaby for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibaby View Post
    Would you mind taking a picture of your cricket bowl? I keep hearing talk about using cricket bowls but I can't imagine a bowl where the crickets wouldn't just jump right out.
    No problem, its feeding time soon here so here are some pics.

Also included is a picture of some moss I'm hoping someone can ID. Wondering if its safe for a frog full habitat. It grows outside my home here in New Hampshire. Its very soft and seems to spread well. I have some in a jar to see how well it takes right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

kiwibaby

Thanks for the pics! It seems like the crickets I use would still be able to jump out of there but maybe I'm overestimating their abilities. I think I'll try a feed bowl and see how that works out.
    Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with that moss at all. Sorry.

Tony

I'm not sure that is even a moss, looks more like a vascular plant to me. Does it have roots? In any case mosses and other plants from temperature climates usually do not do well in a vivarium, without a cold period of dormancy they eventually just die off.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The crickets can't get traction unless you use a bowl that is not smooth inside. I'm just hoping the wife doesn't see I'm using her good stoneware :-)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

No problem, its feeding time soon here so here are some pics.

Also included is a picture of some moss I'm hoping someone can ID. Wondering if its safe for a frog full habitat. It grows outside my home here in New Hampshire. Its very soft and seems to spread well. I have some in a jar to see how well it takes right now.
    I asked what moss but I meant what fern this is... oops

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Balvennie View Post
    Hi all,

I have recently finished constructing my new red-eye terrarium, and realise that I could get a lot more critters in there! It's 1.2m long x 1m high and 41cm deep. It has a waterfall, pond, and sculpted background with plenty of plants (and more still to be added). Right now I have only 3 red-eyes, and while I'm planning on getting a few more, I'd like to know if anyone can suggest another species I can safely put in there? I'm open to other treefrogs, toads, small lizards, but not snakes.

This is my first post, but will try to add a photo of the setup. You can also see a (not very good quality) video here: Log in | Facebook
    Red Eyes are very prone to stress and would freak out if there is another species in with them. You can get albino or xanthic red eyes if you want to add variety. That way you'll have yellow and green frogs.

14. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Red Eyes are very prone to stress and would freak out if there is another species in with them. You can get albino or xanthic red eyes if you want to add variety. That way you'll have yellow and green frogs.
    Exactly. If you look at my photo albums for my Red Eyes you'll see two very different colors.

Balvennie

I like the idea of lutino/albino red-eyes, although I haven't seen them for sale in the UK. What about black-eyed treefrogs, or tiger-legged treefrogs? Are they close enough to not freak out the red-eyes? My other question is, considering the size of my terrarium (1.2m x 1m x 41cm), how many frogs do you think I could comfortably put in there?

bshmerlie

Exactly. If you look at my photo albums for my Red Eyes you'll see two very different colors.
    colors and sizes...that's the only way I can keep their names straight.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

colors and sizes...that's the only way I can keep their names straight.
    I noticed a moss that you have wrapped on your vines and such. What is that and how do you get it to stay attached initially?

bshmerlie

It is scraps of sheet moss and it is hot glued to the branches.

20. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It is scraps of sheet moss and it is hot glued to the branches.
    I tried to use some Spanish moss but since the branch is already in place I didn't want to use any glues.

I did add some sheet moss that the local flower shop had for making arrangements. It looks like knight's plume moss but not sure.
    http://www.northernontarioflora.ca/i.../1006485_2.jpg

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Some frogs wake up at different times. 6 hours a night is obviously working for him. He will become more bold with time. I have also found if you want more "frog time" for your enjoyment ...get more frogs. That way you always have one of them moving around.

Cheri, right on the money. Last Thursday we added a new Red Eye and the next night they were buddied up and sleeping heat to butt on the same leaf in the tank... right in view. They have been that way since and now come out about 10pm. Thanks for the suggestion... think it made one happy frog.

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    A large number of common vivarium plants are poisonous to some degree, but most are not going to cause problems. Arrowhead plants (Syngonium) are fine, they are common viv plants and I have personally used them for years. Other common toxic plants include pothos, Monstera, Philodendron, and Ficus. The only toxic plant I make a real effort to avoid is Dieffenbachia since the sap is a powerful skin irritant and the plant is delicate enough that frogs are likely to damage it and contact the sap.
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if it was an problem, but I'd rather mention it and be wrong than to see someones frog die from it, ya know what I mean. I am glad you clarified it, thanks.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charlamanda View Post
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if it was an problem, but I'd rather mention it and be wrong than to see someones frog die from it, ya know what I mean. I am glad you clarified it, thanks.
    I still took out the biggest arrowhead since I saw that as the one they would have most visited to leaf sit.

As for add some more info on the leaf litter... so far It works great for keeping the frogs from being covered in plantation soil, but, it adds so many places for crickets to hide and never be found.

Even feeing in the bowl, you do lose crickets from the bowl when the frogs sit in the bowl providing traction for the crickets to escape.

I removed some leaf littler, washed it up and dried it out for later use. I left a small amount to walk on and provide a place to sit the water dish and cricket bowl.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information