Thread: Estivation

jjmorton13

Default Estivation

I was just curious if everyone estivates their pyxies, or allows them to estivate if they show interest. Its about that time of year when temperatures are cooling down. I do live in Florida, US, so that is a relative statement. I've had my frog (a male) since January, and he is 6-7in (16-18 cm) SVL. He hasn't shown any interest in not eating, and he didn't estivate, or wasn't allow to, last year at this time when he was still at the reptile store. Your opinions and advice are appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

pixiefrogman

Default Re: Estivation

Personally I don't estivate my frogs. But their appetite does decrease.

onedge30

Last year, I did not allow them to aestivate. Now, this year, yes! I am going to prepare them and tuck them into bed for 4+ months.

This is due to my planned breeding in the spring. Central Florida, here.

Kevin1

The proper term for ectotherm inactivity in winter is brumation. I feel they should be allowed to do what they feel at least. I brumate my frogs in winter. It's not hard to do just give them lots of substrate reduce temps and/or shut off lights and allow temps to drop. That's if you want them to brumate. I personally feel it's good for the health of the frog to allow them a period of rest in the winter.

jaguilar15

Does the decrease in eating apply to young babies too? or just matured pixies

pixiefrogman

That's right Kevin, I always mix up the two. And I'm pretty sure there isn't much of an effect on babies because my big male has slowed down his feeding but my baby is eating more than ever!

jjmorton13

Thanks for the correction, Kevin. It seems that so many people use those two terms interchangeably, but I always appreciate the correct terminology.

And thanks for the rest of the replies, everyone!

jaguilar15

Oh, well my babies seemed to be burrowed for a while now. they barely come out to eat, except i have one that comes out and eats everynight

Thread Information