Thread: Picky Pacman

Malachi

Default Picky Pacman

I have a petsmart rescued cranwalli. He was super shy when he i first got him. Now that he has grown some he is out more and more. He still only eats in the evening or night.

He absolutely loves crickets. He goes crazy and lunges all over for them. Mealworms will be eaten, but with much less vigor.

I have given him a live pinky and a frozen fuzzy in since i got him in august. He seems to like them.

The issue at hand, he WILL NOT eat worms. I have tried all sizes and pieces of the worms. Dusted, non dusted, night, day, in water, on land, in his cage, in feeding tub , night crawlers, red wigglers, and regular earth worms. It is as if he doest view them as food. I have stopped feeding him for a longer than normal period and still no cigar.

Anyone ever experienced this, and successfully trained them to eat worms. All my other frogs love worms.

If its just the personality of the frog then I will just have to continue the dusted cricket diet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

John911

We have one cranwelli that in 3-4 months of owning have not seen him eat once. I don't know what his deal is.

Eel Noob

Default Re: Picky Pacman

Some frogs are just picky like that but I do find that it's easier to get frogs to feed if you can get them to associate feeding tong with foods from an early age.

Malachi

I think petsmart traumatized him

I have tricked him to eat part of a worm.

Drop 2 or 3 crickets in, then the piece of worm. He jumps at it without looking. though afterwards he looks less than thrilled at what he ate.

Eel Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I think petsmart traumatized him

I have tricked him to eat part of a worm.

Drop 2 or 3 crickets in, then the piece of worm. He jumps at it without looking. though afterwards he looks less than thrilled at what he ate.
    Do you have or use a feeding tong?

Malachi

Yep, I also have pixies...so its a must have. He has only eaten a frozen fuzzy and a meal worm from them.

Eel Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Yep, I also have pixies...so its a must have. He has only eaten a frozen fuzzy and a meal worm from them.
    Yep with pyxies it's a must. As for feeding nightcrawlers I would suggest holding them with tong and dangling in front of the frog. If that doesn't work you'll just have to rub the food in their face(gently) until they open their mouth and just shove the worm in.

John911

I usually bypass the tongs and regurgitate like a mother bird. Is that weird?

Malachi

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    Yep with pyxies it's a must. As for feeding nightcrawlers I would suggest holding them with tong and dangling in front of the frog. If that doesn't work you'll just have to rub the food in their face(gently) until they open their mouth and just shove the worm in.
    This works on my Ornates but the cranwelli trys to go under the substrate backwards.

Thread Information