Thread: Crickets

spec

Default Crickets

Is it possible for the flukers watering gel w calcium is killing my crickets? Someone has informed me that this instead of the original would be the reason for my crickets to die off all at the same time..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Greenlove

Default Re: Crickets

Sorry, I do not have an answer for you. I just wanted to tell you what I use. I have a small hard plastic lid off of a food storage container (like a ziplock or rubbermaid) that I put cotton balls in and soak with water. I have been raising 1000 crickets for a few months now and have had very few die. I do change the cotton whenever it gets dirty (every 3 or 4 days). Those watering gels just never looked very healthy to me, that's why I never tried them. Try some cotton balls your crickets will love them! Oh, and they are cheaper too. Good luck!

Edit~~~~I forgot to mention: I also give my crickets lots of romaine (they love it), slices of tomato, carrot, potato, broccoli, apple, red seedless grapes cut in half (they love these too), and occasionally some spinach. So, they do get water from that too. I tried sweet potatoes (yams) and cauliflower, but they weren't crazy about those.
    Last edited by Greenlove; November 14th, 2010 at 01:01 PM.

Julia

Crickets can die off for many reasons. Things like temperature, humidity, or cleanliness could all be factors. If you are looking for a cricket gel alternative try fresh fruits and veggies. Things like apples, oranges, carrots and romaine lettuce are nutritious and have many benefits for your frogs.

Tony

The Cricket Paralysis Virus could be an explanation, are they all dying off right before they get their wings?

Thread Information