Thread: Tank setup

vmaxchick

Default Tank setup

Hi there folks posted a pic here of the set up i have after rescuing the wee tree frogs and 2 anolies hope you all think that its okay for them still struggling to get those temps up costing me a n arm and a leg hahah comments on the set up would be great can i also as if i was right in saying i read somewhere that tree frogs can eat small pinkies i may have been wrong???

cheers H
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Tank setup

I think it looks good. I would probably use up more of the center space to give them more room to climb. Maybe hang more plants from the top or get branches. Don't feed them pinkies. Crickets should be their main diet. Variety could consist of roaches, locusts, meal worms, etc.

Rae

Hey very nice set up is that a exo terra 24x18x24? Be careful about mixing species in the same terrarium you'll hear that alot here. What kind of tree frogs and anoles? Make sure they need same temp and humidity levels....and they might eat each other depending on size. Yes some large tree frogs can eat pinkies but from what I've read they are high in fat and arent recomended except as a treat lol. poor lil mice! I have a grey tree frog and use crickets as a staple diet and might give house flies if we even catch them =D

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Very nicely done.

vmaxchick

slightly shocked here as you know i had two american tree frigs one about 2 inches the other about just under and inch as such, and the two green anolies just know them as that to be honest very small also.......thanks for comments on the set up but i am in a bit of panic one of the american tree frogs is gone, there's no way it could have escaped its the smallest one of the two, would one eat another.......i took out all plants hanging ect and checked everywhere and nothing no sign gone??? if this is the case is it best to get another one for company for the bigger fella??

Rae

Sorry no I did not know what species of frog u had thats why I asked

Yes they will eat eachother if they are hungry and can fit them in thier mouths. Its always best to house same species of around same size. Im sorry for you loss !

Could the anoles have eaten it I've heard of salamanders and frogs eating eachother?

What size terrarium? make sure you dont cram them I've been told 10gallons per frog and since you have mixed species the might need more to avoid stress and aggression.

Hope this helped =)

vmaxchick

hiya rae and thanks tank is 24x18x24 size you had thought, thing is that the anolies eat a lot during the day mainly locusts if im honest now i had put crickets in for the two frogs at night tried it various ways and did not seem like they were eating, for example, when i had put some in a small glass bowl to stop them escaping next morning all crickets and even wax worms were still there, this occurred for few days running now at night i put in some loose but concerned in case there are just hiding in the moss if you know what i mean. not convinced the frog is eating as such, i was advised to dish the crickets as if i just put them in the tank then they may bite the tree frogs..........thats what i get for being a rescue lady haha

Rae

The crickets for the froggies are they still alive? Ive been told frogs will likely ignore dead ones they like the hunt... the moving prey.... lil froggy may have been more appealing to hunt =(

hmm yours is a 63 gallon very nice =)

Rae

oh and i forgot to ask how big are your crickets? I read a good rule is no food longer than the width between the froggies eyes.... but if they are stressed due to there lizard roommates... new terrarium... or any changes recently... they may not feel up to eating =(

You also dont need to get a friend for him they are pretty solitary lil guys that like there space. You could put one in a 55 gal and he'd probably be in heaven by himself till he's looking for a lady lmao!

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    The crickets for the froggies are they still alive? Ive been told frogs will likely ignore dead ones they like the hunt... the moving prey.... lil froggy may have been more appealing to hunt =(

hmm yours is a 63 gallon very nice =)

I was WRONG its 44 gallon so you might be cramping it =(

vmaxchick

hi there the anolies are very small indeed the tree frog has a larger body mass body in the anolies maybe poss on 3 inches and a bit extra for the tail, as i say they are getting all the day time grub.

The crickets were live when in the tank also, hmm 43 gallon too small for 2 wee anolies and the one frog jesus i just rescued them and had rescued the two fire bellied toads and ended up spending over 800 dollars.........don't worry there in a diff tank pic i put on for them in the fire belly section......i cant expand tank size for the tree frog again as far as i am aware max size he will get is 2 to 2 half inches........my house is full haha

you reckon its best to throw what 5 or 6 crickets in every second night to make sure he eats or less? crickets are hmm let me see about medium size 3 poss that's uk size not too big at all as the next size down is minuscule (beyond tiny) scuse the scottish pun haha

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Have you found the 2nd frog yet? One of mine had gone into hiding since I changed the landscape around. They hide well and are sometimes very hard to locate without disturbing things.

I put my crickets right in with my Whites and let them hunt during the night.
    I'm sure I have some living in the moss.

vmaxchick

Cheers for that mines wee bit diff from the whites but not sure in saying that lol gonna re check tank in morning I put lights out at 7 and lights go on at 9am....hmmm hope that's the right sequence.

Rae

When you say American Tree Frogs I'm thinking American Green Tree Frogs and are anolies the same as Anoles cuz i googled and it says do you mean anoles... just so I know if im thinking of the right animals.

also yes you could fit 4 (of the same) tree frogs in a 44 gal. terrarium just have lots of hiding spots for them to feel safe..... but you are mixing species in the same terrarium thats where I fear the extra stress.

But I could be wrong im going by what ive read here.

vmaxchick

Cheers Rae yeah kind of stuck now need to leave the two anolies and the one frog lol or so I thought found the other wee guy this morning haha he's alive....hope all goes well with them doin best I can...

Thread Information