Thread: Update on Jaba, suspected kidney infection

Waybueno

Default Update on Jaba, suspected kidney infection

I had posted previously about my white's tree frog being bloated and acting wierd, and had gotten some responses about it either being a kidney infection, or kidney failure. Had taken him to the vets, and told them what I knew about what was going on, and the vet had given me liquid baytril to inject into wax worms and feed to him. He said that if it was a kidney infection that the baytril would help, but if it was kidney failure, he'd die. He's still alive, it's been a week or so since I've been giving him medicine, was supposed to be giving it to him for 10 days, and the doctor said that he should be better by now.

For a while, he was looking better, it seemed that his swelling had gone down, and his body was starting to even out, but we had taken him out to give him the medicine today and his belly was all lopsided like it had been, and he's tilted somewhat and flopping around like he was 2 weeks ago. We gave him his medicine and have been soaking him in the spring water for about half an hour, debating on keep trying, or just having him put down.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Waybueno

Default Re: Update on Jaba, suspected kidney infection

Is it possible that he is still impacted from all the mealworms he had been fed? Because as soon as he pooped, it seemed like the swelling had gone down, and he had been getting better. The last time he did poop was about 10 or so days ago, and he hasn't since we've started the treatment. Looking for quick replies!

Waybueno

Have been soaking him in the spring water for about an hour now, but he's not doing the uncontrollable flipping over and freaking out anymore. Swelling still hasn't gone down.

bshmerlie

You said that he's been eating wax worms with the medicine every day and he's not pooping. To me that seems to be the problem. I'm not sure they could do this but is there anyway they could X-ray him to see if there is a blockage. Remember what goes in must go out.

Waybueno

Yes, the vet said that the x-ray's would cost 120$ each, and he wanted to do 2 on top of the 100$ examination fee, and I don't have that kind of money.

bshmerlie

Then it wouldn't hurt at this point to assume there is a blockage and treat him for that. Is there a frog laxative?

Waybueno

I have no idea, I soaked him for like 1hr and 30mins tonight and he seems to be feeling a little better not flipping over and not tilted. If theres a frog laxative out there I'd love to hear about it!!!

What about liquid human/baby laxative injected into a waxworm?

Greenlove

I just researched a little about impaction and what you can do for it. Someone said you can put a few drops of mineral oil on their lips and it will soak in and act as a laxative. There is something else called Mela fix (the posts say it should be used with water as a soak----you'll have to read through the posts to find out exactly how they used it) available at wal mart. I found this information at http://repticzone.com/forums/TreeFrogs/messages/1909551.html. I have never tried this, and am not saying that you should use it. This is just info I looked up to try and help you. I have no experience treating frogs for any kind of ailment. Good luck. I hope your froggy gets better.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Waybueno View Post

What about liquid human/baby laxative injected into a waxworm?
    I definately wouldn't do that. I've also never had to deal with any blockage issues so hopefully someone who has will chime in. Good luck.

Waybueno

Ugh I hope so :[

Waybueno

Nobody can think of a frog laxative??

Heres some art I did of him this morning of my fave picture of him.

Thread Information