Thread: Active Tree Frogs?

Rocko

Default Active Tree Frogs?

Just out of curiosity are there any particularly active species of tree frogs? I have two whites and they are both pretty sedentary. Not sure whether other species are more busy bodies.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

charlamanda

Default Re: Active Tree Frogs?

I have Gray Tree Frogs/froglets and for the most part they just sit around. The most I've seen them move was when they were grabbing their cricket dinners.
    However, a week or two ago it got very warm out for a few days and my froglets went wild, I couldn't beleive it! They were ALL bouncing around the 33 gal tank like it was a 1 gallon. Jumping from one side to the other, climbing back and forth on the front glass, which is the only section that is not covered. They were at the top of the tank pushing up on the hood 1) where it opens up to access them and 2) where the hood had been shifted and several got out once before. I taped the hood in place and the access lid down with duck tape. Scary thing is that they were pushing at the top together as a group! Here I thought they were lazy and dim witted creatures!LOL They showed me I was completely wrong.
    I guess there are many factors that dictate their activity as well as the species. I really enjoy watching them climb onto lil perches in the hood. They climb, jump and then dangle, flalling and occasionally falling trying to get up into their niches. They are very entertaining regardless of their collective activity level, but every once and a while they act like children that have eaten ALL of their Halloween candy!LOL

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

My Green and Golden Bell tree frogs (Litoria aurea) are quite active. The are real time wasters during the day and night.

bshmerlie

I have 5 Red Eyes. The oldest one just kinda sits around waiting for crickets he's about 3 years old. I have two, a boy and a girl (Big Mama), who are about a year and they are both very active at night, especially Big Mama. I have two babies who have been out of the water for about 3-4 months and they are very active walking around the enclosure at night. I'm guessing like people the older they get the more sedentary they get. I did notice them becore more active when I added a large water section versus having just water bowls. I don't know if anyone has experieced that. I have a 67 gallon tank with one third water and all frogs spend about 90% of their time on the water side...not just sitting in the water but also the branches above the water. They only go to the land side to eat at the cricket bowls and then go back to the water side. I watch my frogs about 60 minutes after lights out and all of them are usually up by then. I don't have my tank jam packed with frogs so they feel free to roam around. I suppose if the tank is small they may not feel like there is much to do. I don't have Whites but from what I hear is that given space they are relatively active for frogs. You've go to understand of course they're not puppies and of course they will only be active at night when it is completely dark. Sometimes if it is too light in their room they won't wake up or only do so out of hunger and then go back to sleep.

Rocko

Yeah I mean I'm sure living space and all has a bit to do with it, that most of these critters are nocturnal only compounds the matter, I guess I was just trying to see whether the vision I had of tree frogs leaping from branch to branch was accurate for any species or were tree frogs in general more placid animals.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    I guess I was just trying to see whether the vision I had of tree frogs leaping from branch to branch was accurate for any species or were tree frogs in general more placid animals.
    Definitely, my Agalychnis sp. are all over the place at night, constantly hunting, calling, wrestling, or just jumping around.

I don't think there are active tree frogs. Maybe the golden bell frogs which ebony stated? But I never even seen them upclose. From what I see they just hang around in a corner of the tank or on the ornaments. They're only active around feeding time, maybe misting? Also mating time (obv), And sometimes just exploring around at night. Frogs in general arent overly active, though I get what you mean. Like I have an american toad and she will sit in one spot, then move to another ten mins later or sometimes 40 mins later. But thats an exception. All I know is that the active frogs are:
    FBT's
    Dart frogs and mantellas
    Clawed frogs(more of the xenopus laevis)
    I know that some north american frogs -CAN- be active but mainly just lounge around.

As for tree frogs besides what ebony just stated, I dont know any other tree frog that is active(I was doing the same search myself a while ago).
    But you know, there are individuals in each species. You may end up getting lucky and find the four leaf clover of the frog world and come across an active healthy specimen. Who knows. My guess is try:
    -Cuban tree frogs(solitary frogs, but I seen em move more than the other tree frogs in the stores).
    -Green Tree frog(Seen them SOMETIMES move around more than other tree frogs)

But if you want something hands down active, go for firebelly toads. They may not be tree frogs, but hey they're gorgeous, have an awesome coloring, they will use up all the space(Had em), and they're vocal calls is endearing. Or you could go for poison darts, but know that they are not that easy to keep up with, or so I keep getting told, but who knows.
    As for activity in other frogs, like that other guy said depends on the season, temperature, moisture, and individual. SOmetimes even if they're really hungry.
    Good luck.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

My Whites are pretty active only at night, pretty much hunting food. They seem to know feeding time and wait for me to drop in some crickets then go crazy diving from branches. While the lights are out in the middle of the night I hear many thumps from the enclosure so they are definitely having some fun while no one is watching.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow, 1st time I have heard my Whites actually make any sounds was this morning. One was sounding off for about 30 seconds and it was pretty cool.

Thread Information