Thread: Baby red eye housing issue

bshmerlie

Default Baby red eye housing issue

My two newest babies have grown from 3/4 inch to almost an inch and a half in the last couple of months. So I figured it would be okay to put them into my red eye enclosure with the rest of them but I think they're intimidated by Big Mama. It is a big enclosure but Big Mama who is probably not even a year herself is already pushing three inches and she is very active all night roaming around like she owns the place. They wake up quicker than she does and run for dinner first but as soon as she gets up they both hunker down somewhere and stop moving. They don't seem to mind when the others walk by but they definately crouch when she approaches. I moved them back into their temp home in the middle of the night last night for fear that they're not going to get enough to eat. I'm going on vacation for a week next week and I wanted them all to be in the large tank because its environment is computer controlled. Any suggestions? She doesn't seem interest in trying to eat them she's just an in your face kind of frog.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

charlamanda

Default Re: Baby red eye housing issue

I am having a similar issue. I had 10 in the big tank and 2 are much smaller. During feedings the others would actually grab at the 2 lil guys who fled to the top and are not getting much larger! I took them out and put them in with Baby, Hoppy and Shadoobie where they seem much happier and closer to their size. Maybe it's better to separate them, just in case. I was under the impression that Gray's were not aggressive, but it sure looks like they can be a lil when food is concerned and it shows in their actions and slower growth! If Big Mama is intimidating them and they're not eating as much or without BM menacing, why take the chance. I am only basing it on what you've said and my experience so take it with a grain of salt!LOL I am not an expert, but it's just an observation Best of luck and enjoy your vacation, boy am I jealous!LOL

bshmerlie

Well I'm back from vacation and all frogs are well and accounted for. I kept the two babies in the temp tank and placed it inside the bigger tank while I was gone because I don't have anyone watching them while I'm away. That was the only way I could ensure that everyone would stay at the proper temp and humidity. I'm sure the adults didn't like a big cube in there but they delt with it. The babies are both very plump so I took them out and they are now again roaming with the adults. They are both well over an inch and a half and seem eager to get out of the smaller tank. I'm going to watch them closely this weekend I hope they stand tall next to big mama. We'll see. Wish them luck. Mac and Mini are in the house.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Cheri, I am wondering if you can comment on their behavior when you acclimated them to the new home. I picked up a new 1 1/4 inch Red Eye and he initially hid on the glass behind the enclosure back. When I awoke this morning he was sleeping in the substrate (Jungle Mix) in a damp section and has been there ever since.

He does open his eyes to sound but does stay perfectly still if I go in to the enclosure to mist.

Sound right to you?
    I figured he would have hid on the glass or somewhere out of the way vise right up front and exposed.

Thanks,
    Don

Thread Information